• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Front bumper question

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on doing my own front bumper out of 2x6 steel tubing. I want to put a receiver on it so I have a front tow point. Any suggestions for making it strong enough to work safely?
TIA

Do a search on Tow hook brackets and see how they re-inforce the outer portion of the frame rail. I recommend using a bracket similar to this but with the bumper fastend to it via bolts or welding. It is also a good idea to add a little "L" bracket bolted where the stock bumper mounts go...the purpose of this bracket is to tie in the steel crossmember at the front of the XJ to the bumper mounting holes.

For great mounting ideas, go to www.rigidco.com

This will give you some pointers on how to make the receiver strong and tied in to the bumper.

Good Luck

The Rigidco site is excellent!! thanks for the info. I think I'll make some of that stuff, shouldn't be too hard. I can get scrap steel from a friend at church.

No problem.
I have that bumper and that mounting system. It's fantastic.

When I installed it, the front end really tightened up, and it lessened my death wobble I had after my lift.

That looks alot like mine,I built it 3 years ago.You can see some build pics from my homepage!
bump12.jpg

If you go to my homepage the pics should pretty much explain!Combo of square tube and plate.The pin(same for the shackles) is accessed from behind the bumper!

Very helpful! But I think that it exceeds my fab skills right now. If you have the dimensions of the plates you used to mount it to the unibody rail I would love to get that info!

Hey asatxj, if you go to this website " xjworld.4wdriver.com" he has a bumper in his TEK SECTION that has A GREAT MOUNting bracket pictured and it is very easy to reproduce. Good Luck Digger

Check out my bumper project for ideas.

http://hometown.aol.com/xjtim/index1.html

Use tow hook bumper brackets, factory ones or one of the copies. ( http://custom4x4.jeepin.com/ )

The tube steel you use for the receiver part in the bumper should go thru both the front and back walls. . Reinforce the receiver tube with a collar (sort of a giant washer). What you are looking for is a double thickness of metal where the receiver and bumper meet. The collar will spread the stress over a larger area. Weld completley around the receiver tube in front and in back of the bumper.

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
Check out my bumper project for ideas.

Good lookin bumper!Instead of segment welding I "Flame Shrunk" mine to fit the contour!

Back