• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another rear disc question..... with a twist

tellicorick

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing my 8.25 rear with a built LP D44; Detroit Locker, 4.11 gears and stronger axles. The rear will be custom job to match the front which will be slightly wider with manual hubs, larger discs and 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I know a lot of you guys have installed discs from ZJs on the rear, but they all had one thing in common; the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I'm looking for some ideas on where I might find some rear discs that have the 5 on 5.5 pattern. I know Ford had rear discs on straight axle Crown Vics at one time, but don't know the bolt pattern. Any ideas on where to start?

You can have a machine shop drill them to 5on5.5, which creates alot more options for you. Lincoln continental and cadillacs are also common rear disc swaps

basalt51 said:
You can have a machine shop drill them to 5on5.5, which creates alot more options for you. Lincoln continental and cadillacs are also common rear disc swaps

5 on 5.5 is a Ford pattern. Check there first.

Nay

The problem with all 5 on 5.5" disks is that they are designed for the front of a fullsize vehicle, which means they are all about 1.25" thick. There is NO WAY that is going to fit between the pads on a caliper designed for a solid rotor, like an exploder or ZJ setup.

If you are set on using ZJ parts, your best bet is a re-drill. It's quite common, and the way Dyna-trac and others do it.

I use 12 inch, fullsize truck rotors with a Caddy caliper, and it's still VERY tight with new pads. The E-brake on these units is not optimal, though. The Explorer/ZJ unit is much better.

CRASH

Teraflex offers a 5 on 5.5" rotor for their rear disc swap that, from what I've read, uses ZJ or Exploder brakes.

I plan on either getting the rotor Teraflex uses or redrilling mine, I'm doing the same thing as you.

Suzuki Samurais and 2 door Trackers/Sidekicks have a thin 5 on 5.5" rotor. That is what I am planning on using with my Scout rear axle with ZJ rear calipers.

The tracker/Sidekick unit has a slightly larger inner hat diameter if that helps.

Stay away from the 4 door TracKick front rotor, they are vented (thick) and are quite expensive for what they are.

There is a thread on this set up at PBB in the Jeep section.

HTH

r@m

Ohhh.....never thoght of using Zuk parts......coolio.

CRASH

what about wj's. arnt they 5 on 5.5 with rear disks

Back