• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Way to get 4.5" - 5"

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I know this stuff has been posted everywhere in bits and pieces, but I looked at everything and am still confused. After deciding between 6" and 4.5" I decided to do the 4.5" for starters. I don't really want to spend tons of money but want to get at least 4.5 - 5" on my 1997 4dr Cherokee.

The Jeep is/will be drivin about 70% highway/30% trail and I want to put 33's on it with 15x8 wheels and 4.5" of backspacing for clearance.

With this stuff in mind (money, lift size, tires, etc) what is the best bang for my buck and something I will be please with down the road? Also (and I know I posted stuff about this concerning the 6") what else do I need to consider with this lift or should consider?

Thanks,

Beebe (Double Down)

On your '97 here's what I'd need to do it right:

-Rubicon Express hack-n-tap SYE
-CV Driveshaft
-Rubicon Express 4.5" front coils
-Front bumpstop extensions.
-Rubicon Express Lower control arms, any will do.
-Rubicon Express Heavy Duty Track Bar
-Plain Jane DT3000 shocks (like $33 each from RE)
-Stock steering, just get an alignment.
-TJ flares on AT LEAST the front, I'd do all 4.
-33" tires. Get some radial mudders. Even the retreads work. (they are about $63 new!)
-4.56 gears would be SWEET!
-Get a Quick-Lock from 4WheelParts for like $240 for the Chryco 8.25.
-rigidco.com rockrails. They are $175/pair and work fantastic. Paint them with spray on bedliner.
-Front posi or locker is up to you. I feel that one locker makes more difference than almost anything else on the trail.
-15x8 el cheapo rock crawlers will work just fine. With TJ flares you could run anywhere between 4.5" and 3.75" backspacing.
-1992 4x4 Dodge Dakota rear brakeline.
-Relocate your front brakelines as low as you can on the frame. You have to straighten out the metal tube carefully!
-1.5"-2" lift shackles for the rear springs.
-FULL LENGTH add-a-leaf for the rear.
-Tow points, front and rear.

I think that's it. Get the rockrails before you wheel it! They are cheaper than a body shop bill BY FAR!

Jared:patriot:

Last edited:
You emailed me about the TJ flares, here's the scoop.

The TJ flares are open MUCH WIDER on the bottom than the stock XJ fender openings. That's why a TJ can run 31's stock and run 33's with like 2-3 inches of lift and 35's with 4" of lift.

I don't know the specifics of how they attach to the fender, as I have never had them or installed them. Done properly they look very nice. I particularly like the look of using 4 TJ rear flares for the XJ, but using 2 fronts and 2 rears looks okay too. There are numerous writeups on this forum for doing either, just do a search.

Using the TJ flares requires a lot of fender sheetmetal cutting. But the reward for your labor is fitting 33" tires on a smaller lift. Bushwacker cut-out flares achieve the same result, but stick out farther. They look kind of dorky unless you have wider wheels or wider axles. Plus, they are PRICEY!

All TJ flares are created equal, except that some are black and some are painted. TJ's are wranglers model year 97+. They have round headlights, which is the easiest way to ID them. You should be able to find them for sale any time on ebaymotors.com .

EDIT: apparently the Rubicon TJ and the Sahara package (painted flares) stick out about an inch farther than other TJ flares.

Last edited:
Back