• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cats?

rngrfrd2000

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to be repalceing the exhaust and thinking i should do the cat right away....i am looking at the cats that advanced auto sells..but there is really no replacement listed just the universal...i am really just using the rig to wheel with so i dont need anything to expensive but i dont want to put one on thats to small....is there a certian size cat i need or will the cheap one do?

91 4.0 w/ to many miles

Cheap one should do. The newer cats are generally smaller. I use the direct fit units from Summit Racing, but the cat itself is much smaller than the OEM cat from an '88 XJ or MJ. They just give you a longer pipe.

The universal fits have a round pipe on both ends, no 4-bolt flange on the inlet end. If your '91 cat is like the ones on my '88s, the old flange wasn't in great shape, and there wasn't a lot of pipe between the flange and the cat body. It's tough to find a stock flange in that 4-bolt pattern, so for me it was worth a couple of extra bucks to get the direct fit and be able to just bolt it up.

i second the direct fit.

i tried a universal fit and had a hard time stopping it from leaking at the down pipe connection, unless you weld. the end of the down pipe is not perfectly round.

Where you at in allentown ?? I'm up in Effort but also belong to BMJA. Are you planning on going to paragon on the 17th for the 101/201 trip ??

Eagle, could you please better point me towards the direct fit cats. I have been looking on Summit's site for the past ten minutes and cannot find them.

I feel retarded. Thanks.

Dirk Funk said:
Eagle, could you please better point me towards the direct fit cats. I have been looking on Summit's site for the past ten minutes and cannot find them.

I feel retarded. Thanks.

You're not retarded. The catalog doesn't show every application, and I'm not sure the web site is much better. Call and ask for the Catco Direct Fit catalytic converter.

Be sure to double-confirm you're getting the direct fit. I've bought three and never had a problem, but Mike from NJ bought what he thought was a direct fit and they sent him a universal.

Replaced my cat on my '93 with an aftermarket Catco brand added a 2.25" pipe to the end to make it as long as the orig, stuck it right in, breathes much better now. I bought it off ebaymotors for $37.50.

Back