• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood latch will not release

96xjdj

NAXJA Forum User
96 hood latch will not release. I don't think the cable is broke, it seems ok and moves freely.The latch just seems as if it is locked up and won't release.Can't really get in there with anything, not even to try and lube up. Anyone dealt with this situation before. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank's

Don´t know whats hanging up, mine was a taller than stock battery I installed.
Don´t know about the 96 but earlier models you could remove the headlights and get at the mounting bolts for the left and right hood catches. Two bolts (for each side), If I remeber correctly one points rearword, one points up. 1/2" or 9/16th bolt head (don´t remeber which). The bolts are quit a bit left and right of the headlight opening, as you sit in the drivers seat.

Try having someone push down on the hood while you are pulling the release. Also ask them if they can feel anything like the vibration of moving parts when you pull.

Back