• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mystery console box - what is it?

jeo

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on tearing out my interior for rhinolining, and i've found a silver computer box behind my e-brake lever, below the CD storage in my console. What could this strange thing be in my '98? I don't want to fudge anything up or set off the airbags or anything. Thanks.

jeo said:
I'm working on tearing out my interior for rhinolining, and i've found a silver computer box behind my e-brake lever, below the CD storage in my console. What could this strange thing be in my '98? I don't want to fudge anything up or set off the airbags or anything. Thanks.

Airbag module

can i disconnect it without setting off the bags? i'll be working on my dash/guages soon, and i'd like to be able to totally unhook them for that little mission...

Disconnect the battery and let them sit for an hour or so then I think you can unplug the box. It used to be under the drivers seat on that little metal platform till they did the recall. Guess too many of them got drowned and it was easier to move the box than replace a million door seals :D

another question along this same line. there is a wire from the driver's side seat to the airbag module. what does this do and can i get rid of it without setting off the airbag. i'm trying to get rid of anything not needed while i've got it all apart (carpet came out yesterday!)

man, just rip those f'in airbags out

small pederson said:
man, just rip those f'in airbags out

Just keep in mind that if you do, and something happens your insurance agency (or any insurance that might get involved depending what happens when it happens) will turn away and say that your vehicle was modified and as a result became unsafe and that's the end of story...

Kejtar said:
Just keep in mind that if you do, and something happens your insurance agency (or any insurance that might get involved depending what happens when it happens) will turn away and say that your vehicle was modified and as a result became unsafe and that's the end of story...
This is one thing that definitely worries me, and i would love to tear my pass. side bag out to make room for switches, but couldn't they say that lifting a vehicle is modifying it and making it unsafe as well...just a point to ponder.

jeo said:
This is one thing that definitely worries me, and i would love to tear my pass. side bag out to make room for switches, but couldn't they say that lifting a vehicle is modifying it and making it unsafe as well...just a point to ponder.

THey would really have to go out of their way to prove that while the lack of airbags is a big no no as I think now all auto manufacturers have to make their vehicles with airbags (some sort of a law)

Kejtar said:
THey would really have to go out of their way to prove that while the lack of airbags is a big no no as I think now all auto manufacturers have to make their vehicles with airbags (some sort of a law)
Anyone have any experience with insurance types on this matter? Seems like there's a lot of speculation, but no real experiences with the matter...Not trying to sound cynical here, but there's no substitute for experience...

jeo said:
Anyone have any experience with insurance types on this matter? Seems like there's a lot of speculation, but no real experiences with the matter...Not trying to sound cynical here, but there's no substitute for experience...

I'm thinking that it's an "adding insult to injury" situation.... UNLESS you are
in an airbag-deployment accident, it won't matter a bit. But if you ARE in
such an accident... and it's, say, it's a chain-reaction event...

- You hit (or are hit by) a vehicle, and are knocked unconscious...
- then your Jeep goes on uncontrollably and broadsides a van full of
school kids

The lawyers could easily argue that if the airbag had properly restrained
you, you would likely have still been conscious, and stopped the Jeep
before hitting the kiddies.

You'll be lying in the hospital, and facing a few million $$$ worth of lawsuits
that you WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN FACING if you'd have left the airbags intact.
(Even if you still ended up hitting the kiddies in an airbagged Jeep).

Furthermore, you'd be liable for the same lawsuit if someone ELSE wrecked
the Jeep after you sold it to them.

My dad and my brother are both very thankful that they had airbags. Both
were involved in accidents that caused nearly $15k in damage to the vehicles
involved in each crash... and both walked away without so much as a scratch.

Airbags save lives.

Den

RichP said:
Disconnect the battery and let them sit for an hour or so then I think you can unplug the box. It used to be under the drivers seat on that little metal platform till they did the recall. Guess too many of them got drowned and it was easier to move the box than replace a million door seals :D

So if my airbag computer is still under my driver seat in my 99 I may be missing a few recalls....

-Scott

sintax said:
So if my airbag computer is still under my driver seat in my 99 I may be missing a few recalls....

-Scott
One for sure. :shhh:

Back