• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who to go to have flares cut

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i have contemplated puttin on yj flares or just cutting mine, I dont trust myself with the job nor my friends. I knwo how to do it and i have seen what it takes, thats not it, but i just dont want to f things up myself. what type of place would i go to, to have it done or is there anybody in the vancouver washington area that knows how to do it that would do it for me for some $$$. Would i go to a body shop or would they not tackle those type of jobs.
thanks
eric

dellstopjeep said:
i have contemplated puttin on yj flares or just cutting mine, I dont trust myself with the job nor my friends. I knwo how to do it and i have seen what it takes, thats not it, but i just dont want to f things up myself. what type of place would i go to, to have it done or is there anybody in the vancouver washington area that knows how to do it that would do it for me for some $$$. Would i go to a body shop or would they not tackle those type of jobs.
thanks
eric

i know some places over in the seattle/bellevue, area will do it. but thats for BW or Rusty cut outs. some body shops are even hesitant to do that stuff. i'm sure someone will post a good website to help you do it yourself.

brandon

Any good body shop can do it if you tell them what you want done. Just FYI, the flares hide how bad your fender looks underneath if your cuts aren't nice.

I just recently cut mine. And it was the first time I have done anything like that. It was very nerve racking. But I think you should try and do it yourself and like the previous post said the flares will cover the chop job. ill try to show you a pic of mine

Even if you have 10 thumbs you can cut your own fenders. Its remarkably easy. Just search the posts here for examples of the process, email guys, check out their websites, etc. I know this is probably not what you were looking to hear, but hell, if my moron buddy can successfully do it, I am sure you can too. There are also templates available as guides for cutting. Its not something that has a lot of screwup potential if you plan it carefully and work slowly. And like the above posts say, the flares cover the cuts. Also, if you do it yourself, you will be able to cut and recut if you don't like your first cuts, or cut bit by bit until you have it where you want. Think about it anyway before you give money to someone who will rip through it in a few seconds and then bill you out the yinyang.
Buck.

If you have access to compressed air, go to home depot and buy the cheap air recip saw (like $40.00). It cuts that stuff like butter. I would volunteer to do it for you for free, but I am still waiting for you to get ahold of me to pick up the rack you said you wanted to buy from me (IIRC you said you would get ahold of me next week, that was 4 months ago). I know you are young and probably don't have gobs of money, but a good lesson to learn is that being a man of your word has many advantages (ie: a fellow jeeper close that enjoys wrenching and fabwork and has all the tools). An e-mail saying you changed your mind would have put us right in my book. Good luck with the fenders.

Soapbox mode off :soapbox:

I just wacked mine with a standard cutting wheel, and then I cut the plastic flares with a sharp knife and trimmed 'em up. You can hardly tell they are modified. No way I'd pay a shop for something so simple.

But the big thing is this: if you really need to cut your fenders and flares, and you are really going to get into serious wheeling, then you are going to do a lot more to your Jeep than a bit of flare trimming. It's tough the first time you hack something off your Jeep, but once you've done it once it is really quite liberating as far as Jeep mods go.

Get a grinder and between the grinding disc and cutting wheel you should be able to make them look awfully nice, plus you'll have done it yourself, which will get you more in the mood to make other necessary "alterations" that you can't ever undo :guitar: .

Nay

you should definitely do it yourself. its super easy after you make that first cut. by far the best thing to use for cutting them is a Dremel tool with cutting wheels. small and easy to handle and it cuts through the plastic very easily. it also does a great job if you're trimming up your fenders too. with it being so small and the cuttings wheels small, it doesn't screw up your paint at all if you trim your fenders. once you get done using the dremel, just use a utility knife to smooth out any small bad cuts. you won't need to use it much... the dremel does a good job. if you're really anal about stuff, take a small file to the edges. take your time and start small... you can take it off but you can't put it back on.

<grin> I cut mine with a sawzall in the Slick Rock Campground 18 months ago, after mounting 33x12.50s here in Chicago. </grin>

Just about nothing but the sawzall and the Mark I eyeball for tools.

formatt said:
you should definitely do it yourself. its super easy after you make that first cut. by far the best thing to use for cutting them is a Dremel tool with cutting wheels. small and easy to handle and it cuts through the plastic very easily. it also does a great job if you're trimming up your fenders too. with it being so small and the cuttings wheels small, it doesn't screw up your paint at all if you trim your fenders. once you get done using the dremel, just use a utility knife to smooth out any small bad cuts. you won't need to use it much... the dremel does a good job. if you're really anal about stuff, take a small file to the edges. take your time and start small... you can take it off but you can't put it back on.

you mean use a dremel to cut the metal on the fenders or the plastic flares?

forget the dremmel for the metal part, use a jig-saw with a metal blade. Put lots of tape down to protect the paint from the feet on the saw. Air reciprocater is the absolute best, especially if you get the smallest one with some good metal cutting blades. It truely is like cutting through butter. I made my SNORKEL hole in about 30 seconds with mine.

Do it yourself, it truely is a great feeling to cut on your rig. Take your time and maek everything. Then slap some TJ flares on there... here we go again with the TJ V.S. all the expensive crappy aftermarket flare fight.

Greddy

I agree with everyone else, DIY. A body shop guy here in town gave a great idea when i made my first cut. Go to a salvage yard, pick a previously crinkled fender(aka really cheap) and practice with that. If you make small cuts you can try several different tools and styles till you find what works best for you. When you are done practicing and go to the real thing, make sure you put plenty of tape on the part your going to cut. GOOD LUCK.

I would like to cut also but am mainly concerned about rust. We drive on salt and chemicals for at least 4 months a year here in Central NY. Everything rusts. I just wonder what preventative measures some of you have taken to fight rust. I plan to have my 2000 for many years to come and don't want it to rot. Maybe just a good helping of POR 15 and some clear coat? Spray on bedliner? Any suggestions appreciated. Sorry to steal this thread but maybe this will help dellstopjeep also.

y2kxj said:
I would like to cut also but am mainly concerned about rust. We drive on salt and chemicals for at least 4 months a year here in Central NY. Everything rusts. I just wonder what preventative measures some of you have taken to fight rust. I plan to have my 2000 for many years to come and don't want it to rot. Maybe just a good helping of POR 15 and some clear coat? Spray on bedliner? Any suggestions appreciated. Sorry to steal this thread but maybe this will help dellstopjeep also.

no worries, if you look at the date it has been a while since i posted this. thread from the grave, but i ended up hacking them with no problems and mounted tj flares. good thing im no dealing with rust issues in washington. Metal would be rusting like terrible on my jeep.

I used a 4 inch angle grinder for the metal with a metal cutting wheel and made it look nice with the grinding wheel. then trimmed up the plastic with a cut off wheel on my dremel... worked great, again someone else said use lots of tape... use it. Just don't use masking tape cause it burns whoops...

dbxj said:
Not trying to hi-jack, but has anyone used an air nibbler to trim the fenders?

works great except in the rear corner i ran in to a plate that was 1/8" thick so i had to use th dremel. cut the front in about 5 minutes total for both sides.

Back