• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker for 8.8 W/ABS

LBEXJ

NAXJA Member #721
I picked up a Ford 8.8 axle out of a '96 Explorer. It has ABS along with the Ford "Posilock", whatever their traction device is called. I'm getting ready to order and install a Detroit Locker in it. Do I need to get the locker for ABS even though I am not using antilock brakes?

Thanks,

Les

I have the same thing and ordered the one without it and it works great (I didn really get an option w/or without). Your going to get a lock of play with the detriot too for some reason (letting off and on the gas will feel the play). Also 1 last thing, your going to need to grind the pin or the ends of the axle shafts (where clips snap into) because the pin hits. Thats what the installers told me anyways. Well, good luck

Patrick

Never grind the pin, only the shafts. 95% of the time you won't have to do this anyway.

The ABS won't work with your rig anyway, so you may as well get the detroit without the toner ring.

CRASH

no need for the abs junk, did you look at ARBs also, they are only like $50 more, amazing how expensive the Detroits are for that axle. You know you can sell that Posi for about $100 on ebay right?

Thanks for the replies so far ... I was not sure if the casing was different for those with ABS and those without. I know I could always ask when ordering, but I want to have feedback from all you all ...

I'm hoping everthing goes in without a hitch ... heads up to some of the pit falls will sure help.

GaryE ... did not know that about selling the posi-loc (I'll make sure I know exactly what it's called though before doing so) :dunce: .

The other cost associated with the ARB is what is swaying me away from those lockers. One of the reasons for the Detroit is to upgrade the carrier ; I've read it is one of the weak links of this axle. I hope it and the 4.88 gears set up well without a lot of "slop".

Thanks ...

Les

The ARB locker will replace the original carrier just like the Detriot. The 8.8" carrier is pretty strong to begin with, unless you have one of the 2000ish model year recalled ones. The Posi carrier limits your locker options. No "lunchbox" lockers are available for the posi carrier, if I recall, so to lock it you'll have to replace the carrier anyway.
If you can swing the install and set up some kind of air source, I'd go with the ARB. They're supposedly tough. Having a selectable locker would just be sooo much nicer too.

Jared:patriot:

The Generation 2 ARB for teh 8.8 is very strong, about 200% (not a typo) than the Gen. 1 model. I broke the side gears on the Gen.1, and ARB replaced it with a Gen. 2.

They have an extra side gear, a timed locking mechanism to prevent shock loading if you hit the magic switch while under power (how I broke mine, I think), and a stronger/simpler bearing, air collar design.

A Detroit will always have about 45-60 degrees of slop, it is unavoidable, as that is how they are designed. The deeper the ratio, the more slop is incurred.

CRASH

Heh Crash...

when did the Gen 2 ARBs come out? I put one in my 8.8 two years ago and am wondering which one I have.
My 8.8 was a '99 or maybe a '98 ...don't remember and had the ABS. My 2000 XJ didn't come with ABS so it was no problem hooking up the Ford axle. (thats for the guy who was asking about ABS, you know it already)
Andy, you going to Moab this year? I'm trying to get a nu,mber of people that are going. Thanks, Danno

Re: Heh Crash...

No, I'm between Jeeps right now. New chassis is done, the stroker is going to hte machine shop tomorrow (!).

I'm betting you have a Generation 1. Do you still have the instruction book? You can tell by the ARB part number. Gen 2's are RD 81's.

CRASH

Ok ... so most of you guys are running the ARB. And, it is obvious that is the locker that you guys prefer ... nothing wrong with that at all. I have read in several posts on this forum, they even have some disadvantages. For me it is just plain cost, especially by the time you add the Air Compressor.

Crash said:
A Detroit will always have about 45-60 degrees of slop, it is unavoidable, as that is how they are designed. The deeper the ratio, the more slop is incurred.

Are you saying the pinion rotates 40 - 50 degrees before the axles engage? That's a hell of a lot of slop! If this is a problem, why do so many run the Detroit Lockers. Hell, I may as well just install a No-Slip (by the way, it is offered on Drivetrain Direct for the limited slip 8.8 axle).

Les

lbexj said:
Are you saying the pinion rotates 40 - 50 degrees before the axles engage? That's a hell of a lot of slop! If this is a problem, why do so many run the Detroit Lockers. Hell, I may as well just install a No-Slip (by the way, it is offered on Drivetrain Direct for the limited slip 8.8 axle).

Les

Yes, that is correct. With an auto, it's not very noticeable. With a stick, it's highly annoying.

Thats what I said at the beginning, I have an auto w/ 4.88's and detroit, mine isnt a DD so its not a big deal to me but I can see how it would get on your nervs if it was a DD. I love to hit the rocks and here the big SMACK and yell out (auston powers voice) 'YAH BABY, YAH'. I checked my gears after 1000 miles of HARD wheel'n and nothing bad yet.

-Red

lbexj said:

Les

lbexj said:
Ok Hell, I may as well just install a No-Slip (by the way, it is offered on Drivetrain Direct for the limited slip 8.8 axle).

Les

That's what I plan to do. The extra 2-300 dollars could be spent somewhere else, and while you're out wheeling and trying to break the no-slip, you could save for a full up ARB

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
:moon:

lbexj said:
Hell, I may as well just install a No-Slip (by the way, it is offered on Drivetrain Direct for the limited slip 8.8 axle).

ooops ... wrong web site. Drivetrain Direct does not show any Lockrights or Powertrax lockers at all. The site I was thinking about is Drivetrain.com .. :confused: Here is the right one:

http://www.drivetrain.com/noslipfordtruck.html

Is the Ford "Posi" differential also refered to as a limited slip?

By looking inside the case, it has spider gears with a flat spring in between. There also appears to be clutch discs on the passenger side of the assembly. There are two tags on the outside of the case ... one says "75W 140 Synth Oil Only" and the other (at the top) "S621A R" (then underneath it) 3L73 88 6E21". Not had any luck finding out exactly what these numbers represent. The guy at the Salvage Yard said the "L" stood for "locker" and the "73" stood for a 3.73 gear. Made sense to my ignorance ...

Yep, John, my sediments exactly about the Powertrax. Even though I run an automatic transmission, I am not interested in that much slop in the pinion ... not when the rep for the Powertrax No-Slip is as good as it is and the cost is lower.

Les

I had a Powertrash in my Chryco 8.25 and liked it. Particularly did really well off road. BUT, it broke three times. The last time it broke and went back to Powertrax and they went broke and were bought up by somebody. I lost the whole thing in the buyout. Couldn't get anybody on the phone either. The guys at Moab offRoad said they had seen a bunch break also. I don't like to dis something but we didn't wheel hard in those days and it still went punk on us. Replaced with an ARB when I went with the 8.8 Ford. The whole design of the "lunchbox lockers" looked pretty suspect to me from an engineering standpoint. Who knows...maybe I got a Monday morning special.

I ran a no-slip in the rear of my 8.25 for 4 years. only had 3 of the crosspin springs break which were easily replaced via a $10 kit.

I now run a detroit in my d44 simply because I had an extra one on the shelf sitting next to a no-slip. but a customer wanted to no-slip so I tossed the detroit in, otherwise I would have put in the no-slip.
if three of them broke on you then I would be willing to bet that you have a bent housing.

Back