• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut and turn write-up?

Writeup:

Strip axle, measure caster and pinion angle.

Cut through the welds holding the end forgings onto the tube.

Find the biggest BFH you are comfortable swinging, and wail away at the end forgings in a radial manner until you have turned them the pre-determined amount.

I assume High Angle as of no help with the extreme front D-shaft angle?

CRASH

JeepFreak21 said:
Everything is goin' downhill fast with this friggin' axle. Does anybody know of a writeup on cutting and turning the knuckles to fix my pinion angle?
TIA.
Billy

Billy, I am doing mine this weekend. It's pretty straight forward: Take a torch at an angle and blow as much of the weld off as possible with out getting into the tube or knuckle. Then take angle grinder, 20 cut off wheels, and 12 beers and cut through the rest and pound the knuckles off. You will want to take an angle finder and find out how much you need to rotate the pinion up so it is pointing at the output shaft of the Tcase and move the knuckles this much. I plan on using a punch to make reference marks on the tube and knuckles so I know where to measure from.

Also, the pisser is that I will be cutting off my passengerside upper, track bar and coil perches because those will need to be moved too. :mad: Live and learn, a lot of guys with built rigs have had to deal with this iterative process in their build ups. For me, it's just another excuse to go with coilovers because my coils just do not fit and I cannot move them forward with out compromisng my tie rod clearance.

If you want to bring your axle over for a grinding party, give me a ring.

SeanP

CRASH said:
Writeup:

CRASH

I explored this, but even this is a stop-gap band-aid (albeit an expensive one) that doesn't address the real issue.

Next time you see a huge super duty and wonder why they dont run a front drive shaft, you will now know.

SeanP

SeanP said:
Billy, I am doing mine this weekend. It's pretty straight forward: Take a torch at an angle and blow as much of the weld off as possible with out getting into the tube or knuckle. Then take angle grinder, 20 cut off wheels, and 12 beers and cut through the rest and pound the knuckles off. You will want to take an angle finder and find out how much you need to rotate the pinion up so it is pointing at the output shaft of the Tcase and move the knuckles this much. I plan on using a punch to make reference marks on the tube and knuckles so I know where to measure from.

Also, the pisser is that I will be cutting off my passengerside upper, track bar and coil perches because those will need to be moved too. :mad: Live and learn, a lot of guys with built rigs have had to deal with this iterative process in their build ups. For me, it's just another excuse to go with coilovers because my coils just do not fit and I cannot move them forward with out compromisng my tie rod clearance.

If you want to bring your axle over for a grinding party, give me a ring.

SeanP

Sean, I feel your pain on cutting off all the bracketry, I'm in the same damn boat! :mad: And I got the same thing goin' on with the coils. Are you going to coilovers now, or just wishing you could? Are you not going to the snow this weekend afterall? Either way, I'd really like to come over and give you a hand with your rig so that I know how the process works. I'm going to hold off on mine until I feel a little more confident about it.
Thanks,
Billy

CRASH said:
Writeup:

Strip axle, measure caster and pinion angle.

Cut through the welds holding the end forgings onto the tube.

Find the biggest BFH you are comfortable swinging, and wail away at the end forgings in a radial manner until you have turned them the pre-determined amount.

CRASH

I found that much in a quick search, I was kinda hopin' for some pictures, but that does help all the same. You're right in your assumption about the high angle driveline.
Thanks CRASH,
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Sean, I feel your pain on cutting off all the bracketry, I'm in the same damn boat! :mad: And I got the same thing goin' on with the coils. Are you going to coilovers now, or just wishing you could? Are you not going to the snow this weekend afterall? Either way, I'd really like to come over and give you a hand with your rig so that I know how the process works. I'm going to hold off on mine until I feel a little more confident about it.
Thanks,
Billy

I am definately going CO's. TonyK has Sway-a-way's with the dual rate springs and hardware for $410 new per corner. He also might have a couple from last years buggy that he will sell for cheap. I was budgeting $100 per corner for decent shocks, so with selling my coils and spacers, I am only looking at about $450 more for the project. Someone REALLY needs to buy my Tundra so I can loosen up funds for finishing my junk.

I will probably start on my rig about 11AM on Sat after finishing my "honey-dos" that marni wants done. Please come by and bring your hearing protection

SeanP said:
I am definately going CO's. TonyK has Sway-a-way's with the dual rate springs and hardware for $410 new per corner. He also might have a couple from last years buggy that he will sell for cheap. I was budgeting $100 per corner for decent shocks, so with selling my coils and spacers, I am only looking at about $450 more for the project. Someone REALLY needs to buy my Tundra so I can loosen up funds for finishing my junk.

I will probably start on my rig about 11AM on Sat after finishing my "honey-dos" that marni wants done. Please come by and bring your hearing protection

So, no snow then, right? I'll be there at 11. I bet I can either get JasonR to come over or borrow is plasma cutter if you think that'd help.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
So, no snow then, right? I'll be there at 11. I bet I can either get JasonR to come over or borrow is plasma cutter if you think that'd help.
Billy

GaryE left his plasma cutter from last weekend. Silly Gary, he might never get it back (JK, Gary).

Sean

JeepFreak21 said:
Billy

I don't think a Plasma cutter would work well for the radial cuts, It will be like you are trying to cut through 1 inch plate, the torch will do well though.

Chuck, yeah I forgot how spoiled I was when I had to flame cut those pieces. They turned out okay though, you are going to weld all the way around them so as long as they are withing an 1/8 or so its all good :)

Gary E said:
Chuck, yeah I forgot how spoiled I was when I had to flame cut those pieces. They turned out okay though, you are going to weld all the way around them so as long as they are withing an 1/8 or so its all good :)

Hey as long as they are not like those LCA Drop brackets you sold me, then everything should OK! :rattle:

ChuckD said:
Hey as long as they are not like those LCA Drop brackets you sold me, then everything should OK! :rattle:

Geesh you though it was tough cleaning them up, they were a huge pain to take off!

Back