• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum lines

awt28

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about replacing all of my vacuum lines since alot of them are getting pretty old (93 country w/203k on it). My question is what sizes will I need and how much of each size.

Best method is to go park in a AA or other auto store and start pulling them one by one then taking them in and matching them up. Does two things, keeps them straight so you don't just pull them all and go shotgun it and keeps you from buying ALL the sizes. I just did this on our 89YJ, I'm looking at 8 boxes or Thermoid tubing, two sizes not used, 6 sizes used. Also be prepared for the plastic T and Y connectors to break while you are taking the old lines off or putting the new ones on. Pick a parts store with a good variety of connectors and adapters before you start. When I did ours I wrote down what I *thought* we would need, had to make two additonal trips. Next time I PARK IN THE PARKING LOT....

Thanks for the info, I was trying to keep from buying all the sizes like you did.

I guess I'll have to wait until I return from the desert, then I'll have some money to take care of this and other projects.

Take care

I usually inspect them pretty close a couple of times a year. Replace whatever seems cracked, rubbed or to hard (rubber). Some have been replaced numerous times, some are 15 years old, OEM and are still fit and flexible.

some vacuum line are soft flexable and some are hard molded lines. for the hard molded(ccv lines), probably dealer items and expensive. for the soft, its very inexpensive and never hurts to have too much.

a great place for more info on vacuum lines is at offroad.com under cherokee america..just checked it out..looks like it could help you out

Thanks everyone,

I have cherokee america bookmarked, but I haven't visited there in a while.

I have a lot of lines that are cracked and falling apart, that's why I'm looking at replacing them now. That way they won't cause problems in the near future.

Back