• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow hook mounting hole provisions.

xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 XJ Wagon only has one hole in the frame for tow hook bracket mounting. There are what look like slot punch outs, but I am unsure as to which way is best to go about this. Do I use self tappers? Do I drill all the way through..?

Is anyone familiar with this..? If so, what did you do..?

xjwoody said:
My 87 XJ Wagon only has one hole in the frame for tow hook bracket mounting. There are what look like slot punch outs, but I am unsure as to which way is best to go about this. Do I use self tappers? Do I drill all the way through..?

Is anyone familiar with this..? If so, what did you do..?

?? are we talking about fronts?? if so your bracket should replace the front bumper mount and use the big hole in the back which has a big bolt that goes THROUGH the frame rail, and in the front it would use the three triangle spaced bolts and then on the bottom it would have one little piece that "helps" with angle pulls (not much, but it does still help) and it goes from the bottom of the bracket (in between the bracekt and the towhook) towards the center and used a bolt that goes through a hole to mount.

I am definately talking fronts.. Sorry about the confusion.

I have one big grade 8 going through the frame (with some trailer hitch plate washers on each side) and the bumper is mounted to the tow hook bracket. That little wedge bracket is in place. Then "arm" of the tow hook bracket has two additional holes in it. Shall I disregard these holes..?

There is a bolt in front, near the bumper mount that I found impossible to do anything with because of the steering box. It goes into an 'L' shaped part that bolts to the "arm" at the bumper mount. Dig..?

Shall I not worry about that one..? 4 out of 5 ain't bad.. I guess..

Btt...

Just looking for some words of reassurance.. I wanna take this Wagon out for some wheelin'..

xjwoody said:
Btt...

Just looking for some words of reassurance.. I wanna take this Wagon out for some wheelin'..

If you're using the bog bolt in the back and three up front and the little brace thing on teh bottom you're fine.

If you have factory tow hook brackets, they haves two sets of mounting holes, one for standard mount and the other for mounting a factory winch kit. If you have the winch kit, you use the last set of holes, which moves the bumper forward about 3inches and there is room to install a winch mounting plate between the brackets. You should not have to drill any holes, they are all pre-punched at the factory.

Back