• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle play

crownver

NAXJA Forum User
Hello
This is my first time posting. I have a 91 XJ auto 4x4 with 380000 km on it. At low speed coasting I get a regular thump in the D35 diff. I thinks its too much axle end play. Can I shim out the end play? If so, where can I get the shims. I will replace the retaining pin, but I don't think it will take out all the play. Any help would be appriciated.

I´m guessing you have the Dana 35 rear end. Haven´t noticed that axle end play ever caused much of a problem. Have seen worn spider gears and more often worn carrier bearings, cause a thunk, when shifting from low to reverse and when backing off of the throttle suddenly. Occasionally, worn pinion bearings. Bearings will usually begin to howl, either before or after the thump becomes noticeable.
But have also seen many other things cause the same problem, from worn U-joints to loose U-bolts and rounded spring perches.

Well thanks, but wouldn't excessive end play and a wheel with a little too much run out cause the steady thumping noise I'm getting? It only does it a low speeds coasting. It also only does it when I'm going straight ahead. Turn the steering wheel a bit and it stops. Yes it is a Dana 35.

Hallo,
I have the same problem. I noticed when replacing a new axleseal.
I renewed the 3/16 centrepin it was wornout to 1/8 flat.The axial play is still 1/16 and the limited slip isnt working anymore. Do I spent a lot of money for a axle 35 or can I roll further ? 160.000 miles is a short life.
regards.

Thanks for the info. I think in addition to the worn pin, I think the axle housing is worn where the side gear bears on it. I've been trying to find out if I can shim behind the gear. Anybody know?

Back