• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2N04 This Weekend

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
I'm going to be doing a quick run up 2N04 this weekend, just as a pre-run to see what sort of maintenance we will be doing at a later date. Anybody is welcome to come along, I plan on running it on Sunday.

I'll be on channel 4 on the CB.

Sequoia

I'll be in Yucca on Saturday as well, not sure how much play time I'm going to have, but if all works out I'll drive up to the moutain (via 2N02) on Saturday night and set up camp someplace.

I'd like to go, but the XJ is currently not moving. I need to figure out my injector problem after my 5.0 injector swap.

If I can get it tackled on Saturday early on, I may put in a new waterpump (needed badly) and if that goes well, I may meet you up there on Sunday. If not I think I may take the time to do the water pump on Sunday.

-Scott

Okay, here's my preliminary plan for Sunday.

Start at 2N02 from pioneertown and proceed to the 2N01 junction (around Rose Mine). We'll take 2N01 to 2N04, then slowly run that.

Afterwards it'll probably be a good time for lunch, we can either stop there, or run into Big Bear City and grab a bit someplace. I'm thinking after lunch 3N16 to the East side of John Bull, run that East to West. After John Bull it's still open to discussion, depends on what time it is and all that groovy stuff. I will be leaving the moutain via 2N02 because I will have to swing by Yucca Valley on the way out.

2N02, 2N01, and 2N04 are easy trails, John Bull isn't. If you don't feel comfortable running JB you can either park at the trial head and ride along with somebody, or meet us on the other side (I will provide you with directions, it's not far at all). Standard NAXJA equipment requirement apply on this run, they area s follows:
  • At least one, visibly charged fire extinguisher (Type B:C, or A:B:C)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Adequate spare tire, Jack, and Lug Wrench
  • Safety belts for driver and any passengers
  • Adequate attachment points in the front AND rear of the vehicle. Acceptable forms of attachment points are: Tow Hooks of OEM or greater integrity, D-Rings, Front and/or Rear Receivers, Shackles or Clevis.
  • At least one, 20ft, 10,000 lb Snatch Strap WITHOUT metal hooks.
  • A properly secured Battery

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sequoia

More details:

There are two meeting places I can think of. You can either meet me at the Pioneertown Bowl or at the Rose Mine. Rose mine is near where we will be turning off 2N02 (it's easier if you're already on the moutain to meet there), the Pioneertown bowl is before you even hit dirt.

Directions:
Pioneertown Bowl: Interstate 10 to Highway 62. Continue on 62 until you hit Pioneertown Road in Yucca Valley (about 45 minutes from the 10), turn left. Take Pioneertown Road into Pioneertown (15 - 20 minutes), the Pioneertown Bowl will be on the right hand side, big sign, can't miss it.
GPS for Pioneertown Bowl: North 34° 9.397', West 116° 29.713'

Rose Mine: Take 2N02 to Rose Mine, it will be just beyond the 2N01 turnoff. 2N02 will start off of Baldwin Lake Road on the east side of Baldwin lake.
GPS for start of 2N02: North 34° 16.769 West 116° 47.829'
GPS for Rose Mine: North 34° 14.734' West 116° 47.829'

Here's a picture of the plan I've come up with:
bb03242004plan.jpg

Sequoia

Last edited:
Sequoia, I thought you said you were going to be at LCIR. This Sun. is the 28th? Or am I just confused, again?

T Bent said:
Sequoia, I thought you said you were going to be at LCIR. This Sun. is the 28th? Or am I just confused, again?
You're not confused, I am going to do that 2N04 run instead of LCIR because if it doesn't get done now it might be awhile before I get the chance, you know how that goes :)

You're doing LCIR, correct? I'd still like to meet up with you Saturday (probably mid-morning or so) and exchange them goods if that's cool, give me a call anytime.

Sequoia

Sorry for taking awhile to get back about 2N04, it's been a busy week for me. Anyway, myself, Mike Golden and a couple friends of mine ran the trail on Sunday and found it in good condition. There was no major erosion, the only one spot had a little (when you start going downhill about midway though the trail, coming from 2N01), it was nothing major, I had a stock '98 S-10 Blazer with me and they had no trouble navigating it. As for debris, some of the trail was narrow, not quite narrow enough to touch our vehicles though.

The only trash we found was at the end of the trail, right next to 38 (actually past th fence post, midway though the short paved access road to 2N04). Somebody used that area to dump a good amount of carpet, an old television (complete with breaking the glass), probably some large panes of glass (there was a LOT of glass there), and an assortment of other garbage. We hauled out about six large bags of trash, got all the debris we found and most of the glass.

The PCT looked good, I picked up a water bottle or two about ten feet into the trail, and saw about six or eight bicyclist on the trail (I didn't realize until later that they weren't allowed on the trail).

The trail looked good and is a scenic green trail, it's not very hevily used either. I see myself driving up it whenever we have fun in Big Bear.

sequoia

Back