• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Me Decipher FSM

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished putting a new long block in my 88XJ (5-speed). When I went to torque the bell housing and motor mount bolts, the game of matching the proper torque with the proper bolt began. The I6 FSM lists the following bell housing bolt torqes:

Clutch Housing Spacer-to-Block Screws (12 ft-lbs)
Clutch Housing-to-Block Screws (top) (27 ft-lbs)
Clutch Housing-to-Block Screws (bottom) (43 ft-lbs)

The bell housing has six bolts and three screws; the two TORX bolts at the very top, two bolts that screw into the engine block mid way down the bell housing, two nut and bolts at the bottom corners of the bell housing, and three small screws that hold the flywheel cover to the bell housing. The three small screws route from the engine toward the bell housing, and the remaining bolts all route from the bell housing toward the engine. Of all the bolts, only the TORX bolts and the two bolts midway down the bell housing mate to the engine block. The other bolts just hold the flywheel cover on. So, to which of these bolts do the FSM stated torques get applied? Has anyone successfully torqed a TORX? It was all I could do just to get them snug, even with lowering the engine.

The motor mounts were a little easier, except when it came to identifying the through bolt. Would that be the Front Support Cushion-to-Bracket torque of 33 ft-lbs?

I rarely use a torque wrench on anything not related to connecting machined surfaces and/or special applications like flywheeel or flex plate, where stretching a bolt can cause real problems.
When bolting into aluminum, I make it a point to stop, before real tight becomes real loose. And coat the threads of anything bolted into aluminum.
Liberal use of a mild loc tite and not overtightening, usually works out for me.

"Clutch Housing" is another phrase for "bellhousing." The two are interchangeable, but the former is typically only found in technical manuals.

However, it is not strictly necessary for the bellhousing bolts to be TTS - unlike the clutch cover bolts. You will want to use LocTite 242 on them, tho - 222 if you don't have 242, but you should keep 222, 242, and 272 around as a minimum (some 545 won't go amiss if you need any sort of hydraulic seal...)

5-90

Back