• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does a factory limited slip look like?

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
I checked the diff cover for a "only use limited slip gear lube" type of a tag and saw none. I tried spinning one tire and the other spun the opposite direction so I assumed i had an open diff. Bought a Lock right and went to install it today. Everything was going quick and smooth until I try to take the spider and side gears out of the diff and find a whole bunch of disks on the ends of the side gears. Clutch packs maybe? I know I can't install my lockright in a LSD so am I looking at posting my brand new lock right in the for sale section?

Is it the original axle? Check inside the glove box and see if there is a label talking about how a limited slip works. There was one in mine.

I ran the limited slip for a couple of years. Everyone badmouths them, but I replaced the clutch pack and mine worked like a champ. If you want to continute with the swap, I bet you could find a cheap carrier pretty easy, but then you have to resetup your gears. Life is never simple :roll:

old_man said:
I bet you could find a cheap carrier pretty easy, but then you have to resetup your gears. Life is never simple :roll:

Yeah, The reason I chose the Lock Right was so I didn't have to do that. If I have to end up redoing the gears, I'll go to 4.56 and buy a ARB or Detroit.

Out of curiousity, how much did a new clutch pack run you?

I saved this pic from a guys sight when I was looking for info on a gear swap. Hope he doesn't mind me using it.
On the right is a Trac Lok differential, left is a stock differential. Hope that helps.

traclok16_carriers_720.jpg

Israel said:
I know I can't install my lockright in a LSD so am I looking at posting my brand new lock right in the for sale section?

If it's new, send it back & swap out for the one that fits in the Trac-Lok carrier. I just put a No-Slip in my 29 spline 8.25 Trac-Lok case, so I know it's available for it (in spite of what my local shop told me when I tried to order it from them!). If used, maybe you can find someone who'll swap with you...

Back