• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny swap....

Arakele

NAXJA Member #946
well sometime over the summer i decided i am going to swap out my aw4, its been shifting bad since i changed the fluid. i took a chance at doing that no big deal, i wanted a manual anyway.

id rather have the nv35xx, just from what i hear it is very desireable, but what about older 4speeds, like the sm 4xx series or t4/t5's i know alot of these have comman bellhousings and can be adapted to the 4.0 and 231 combo easily. but does anybody know of any hang ups that might occur if i tried to swap one into the 4.0? any help is appreciated

I put a NV3550 into my 87 and love it! I got tired of chewing up those French Peugot's. I searched around at some of the other trannys and ended up going with the NV because the T4 and T5 just seemed to be a little weaker. I also figured that since it's newer, parts for it will be around longer and easier to find.

The biggest hangup I had - and I'm not sure about the the auto setup, but the transfer case linkage had to be completly re-worked. All in all, you shouldn't have too many problems any way you go - it just depends on how much beef you want to get.

Back