• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what are my t-case options for pass side drop?

hpi_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
well im just now figuring out what t-case i am wanting to use with my 1ton swap. the front is a d60 pass side drop, my original plans were to use a d300 but is there a better alternative at about the same price? i have both a 21 or 23 spline tranny there both aw4 auto's.
can anyone just give me some pointers so i can do a bit of research?

keep in mind this is the transmission i plan on using, and if at all possible post if i need an adaptor or not.

TIA!

i forgot to mention.

i am not allowed alot of money toward the jeep right now. she doesnt like when i spend loosely toward the "junk pile" :D must keep the price to a minimum.

just curious what's the cheapest atlas i could get my hands on?

What you might want to look into is Toyota t-cases.

I'm not certain but a Toy case may even bolt to your AW4 - they are the same tranny as used in Toyotas - or so I've read. I know that AA has some notes on the Toy cases in PDF form on their web site. You may want to check that out. There are notes about adaptability, spline counts, etc.

The nice thing about the Toy is that it is relatively common to stack them for compund low. And they can be gotten cheaply.

Another pass side t-case is the 241 used in some older GM full-size trucks. It is aluminum case with chain drive but it is a big case for that style.

There's the Dana 20. I'd probably stick with the Dana 300 though.

r@m

Re: NV241D

An NV241D is a One Ton transfer case that is slip-yoke eliminated, 23 spline input 32 spline output w/ a passenger drop. I picked one up last summer, (collecting parts for next XJ), and it should bolt up with a spacer plate. Dodge 88-93? I think.

Root Moose i'll do a little checking on these, i dont want to run a doubled up t-case i think that is a little to involved for my mechanical skills. what i have in mind is a single case with a 4:1 reduction in it.

brokenxj, i'll check on this also, dodge parts are a dime a dozen around here (except the front axles :D ) do they make a gear reduction for this t-case that you know of? and does it take a 7/8" (or something of this size) spacer? i have seen people advertise these things for ~$300 i cant swing that much for a spacer right now.

THANKS!

hpi_jeep said:
Root Moose i'll do a little checking on these, i dont want to run a doubled up t-case i think that is a little to involved for my mechanical skills. what i have in mind is a single case with a 4:1 reduction in it.

brokenxj, i'll check on this also, dodge parts are a dime a dozen around here (except the front axles :D ) do they make a gear reduction for this t-case that you know of? and does it take a 7/8" (or something of this size) spacer? i have seen people advertise these things for ~$300 i cant swing that much for a spacer right now.

THANKS!

The Toy cases can be regeared. I don't remember the exact ratio but there are several different versions and ratios out there. Range from 3.5 to 4.5:1 if memory serves.

There is also a 4:1 for the 241 (besides the obvious Rubicon version). No idea who makes but I'm certain I've seen it advertised.

r@m

Renklaf said:
the toy t-cases can be geared down to 5.0 to 1

I wheeled with a local that is sporting a prototype 8:1 gear in a single toyota case...

Any ways...the d300 is the best option, its lighter and smaller then an atlas, D300s are like $300 ish used, it is gear driven like the atlas and toyota cases, is stronger then a toyota case, and is a split case like an atlas so you can have front wheel drive, or use rear weel drive low for on the street.

The d300 and toyota cases are around $700 to add the common 4:1 gears.
On the toyota cases you have to do alittle grinding but its pretty easy. the d300 would be very similar.

A d300 with a 4:1 could still easily cost you $1000, then you need to adapt it to the aw4, and make drive shafts. A used Atals is worth looking for.

ok, so no one laugh at me here :nono:
i plan on running a t-case with stock gearing untill money allows for the gear reduction.
i will check out used atlas' but i dont think a lump sum like that is available right now unless i sell my jeep, but that wouldnt make sense :D

the reason i am wanting a high reduction is the fact that i am not going to regear my diff's i am hoping to cover up this cheapness with a 4:1 kit or similar. would it just be cheaper to put 7.13 gears in the diffs, and leave the 300 alone?

BTW i think i have a line on a d300 for around $100 so that will save me a tad bit there.

just exactly how much is an adapter?

Here's a crazy idea. Run an LT230 out of a Land Rover.

About the same strength as an Atlas (or so I've been told). 1.4x high range, ~3.x:1 low range. Would work nicely with your stock ratio axles. I think you can mix and match different versions to get high range into the 1.7 range IIRC.

Only quibble is the rear output is offset to the passenger side kinda like a Quadratrac full-size Cherokee.

You can ge the offset axle cheap. I've see LT230s go for around $500.

Just a wild hair.

(gee, can you tell I looked at a lot of equipment before I bought my XJ?)

r@m

Are you planning on this rig being trailered to the trails, or a daily driver?

7:13 sounds awful high <numerically>, but I'm not sure what you're planning....

JT86XJ said:
What about a 205 out of a Chevy?? thats what I put in mine, gear driven, and from what Ive been told its a real good T/C.

They are a huge, heavy case. Only 2:1 low range as well.

r@m

hpi_jeep said:
ok, so no one laugh at me here :nono:
i plan on running a t-case with stock gearing untill money allows for the gear reduction.

the reason i am wanting a high reduction is the fact that i am not going to regear my diff's i am hoping to cover up this cheapness with a 4:1 kit or similar. would it just be cheaper to put 7.13 gears in the diffs, and leave the 300 alone?

just exactly how much is an adapter?

I dont know how much the adaptor is, call up advanced adaptors.
$500 ish is my guess, I dont have a catalog here.

My plan is keep stock 4:10 gears in the 1tons, then do an auto swap and a d300 with a 4:1. The Auto will need less gear reduction then a 5sp for rock crawlin. later Ill make my diff gears lower for good street performance.
4.10 vs 5.38 gears is nuthing like a 4:1 in the case on the trails. I wouldent do the 7.13s.

Let me know what you hear on the adaptors.

well both axles do have 4.11 gears in them i thought they were numerically lower then that (i was thinking a 3.4 number of some sort)

i never thought the adaptor would cost that much, i might just try to make my own. i have access to a lathe and cnc mill, plus i even know how to use it :scared:

for that much money i might make a couple and sell them for alot cheaper so people can use a 300 without going broke...

i'll let ya'll know

hpi_jeep said:
well both axles do have 4.11 gears in them i thought they were numerically lower then that (i was thinking a 3.4 number of some sort)

i never thought the adaptor would cost that much, i might just try to make my own. i have access to a lathe and cnc mill, plus i even know how to use it :scared:

for that much money i might make a couple and sell them for alot cheaper so people can use a 300 without going broke...

i'll let ya'll know

Novak and JB tend to be a little cheaper. Also, don't buy direct though AA - like RE it is better to go through a VAR.

HTH

r@m

bump for new awnsers, i searched, found this, looking to see if anyone has any newer awnsers, maybe some pics?

looking for somethign to bolt to a 21spline aw4, would like to be able to mod it to fwd only, and rwd only hi and low, i dont want a dana300, i cant afford that unless it shows up at the junkyard, and i dont believe it bolts up?

got an amazing deal on a d60 front, closed knuckle, with 5.78 gears with rockwell hubs and bolt pattern. and a d70 rear.

Back