• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushwacker flares

xjhm

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone used the pocket flares...not the cut outs b ut they look similar.
i read somewhere some trimming may be required
what i am looking to do is to go with 33x12.50 when my 31's wear out on my '99 with 4 1/2 - 5" (8" wheel with 4 3/4 b.s.) without hacking the rear i don't mind trimming the front but i want to stay away from the rear because of the unibody structure / getting water in between the panels
or would the cutouts go on with out doing alot of cutting back there
i am stuck on the bushwackers and i have searched but couldn't find much on the pocket flares thanks

for the rear cut vertically in sections up to the pinch seam and then fold it into the wheel well. that's what I did, and it looks great. AND there was no messing with the seam.

Do you have any pics XJblaine? I am gonna cut mine this week and use TJ flares. I have about 4.75" of lift and put on the 33x12.5's and they rub real good so I have to trim. That is on a rim with 3.5" of bs. If you can send me those pics I could really use them. Also what did you cut your's out with. I plan to use a Jig saw with a 28tpi blade. I read alot of others did this as well. Any one else with trimming reccomendations. Not tryin to hijack the thread sorry.

Here is a great writeup by Jason West on installing the BW flares:
http://www.jeepin.com/features/bushwacker/index.asp

Here is an old picture of my 97 with BW flares. I didn't like how they dwarfed my 34x12.5's, so I took them off.
fc15d0ac.jpg

fba962fa.jpg

family XJ said:
Do you have any pics XJblaine? I am gonna cut mine this week and use TJ flares. I have about 4.75" of lift and put on the 33x12.5's and they rub real good so I have to trim. That is on a rim with 3.5" of bs. If you can send me those pics I could really use them. Also what did you cut your's out with. I plan to use a Jig saw with a 28tpi blade. I read alot of others did this as well. Any one else with trimming reccomendations. Not tryin to hijack the thread sorry.

I broke 4-5 blades and only got halfway thru one front fender. The jig saw is the hard way...trust me. I switched to a pair of sheet metal shears and they cut like "buttah".... It was quick, clean, and quiet (live in an apartment). I fit 35s on mine with some cutting. pics...before 35s and after

they have them for the xj too
but i just re-read the info on the b.w. site... for two door xj only :(
hmmm... has anyone compared 2 door to a 4 door?

nobody above addressed your water question, so i thought i'd put in my two cents. A guy i wheel with did the bushwacker cutout thing and ended up getting water in his jeep all winter long. (we roll through some deep holes here on the island). Last spring he welded up the cut seams where they were bent over in the wheelwells and lo and behold, no more leakage. Plus they look wicked with his 35's. And i agree with Kirby above, pockets are just for the TJ and will need plenty of trimming to make them fit.
Buck.

Back