• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Breakage, not what you think though

racer122

NAXJA Forum User
So, trying to upgrade my axle shafts this weekend, and I had some massive troubles getting the 36 mm nut off of the shaft. In fact, I didn't get it off, despite breaking a cheapo 1/2 inch driver, and this really nice craftsman breaker bar. Plus the 8' length of pipe I used as a cheater bar is now bent.

And the nut is in place. And yes, I did use PB blaster before and after.

Any suggestions?

breakerbr.JPG

If an 8' bar didn't do it then just take it to a local shop and have them hit it with their impact gun and then tighten it back up enough to let you drive on it. Then take it home and proceed.

ChuckD said:
If it's a 260 joint and an 88' hub, just pull the three bolts off from behind the knuckle and call it good. If it's that rusted it may be a good idea to go with a newer hub anyway.

Well, yes it is a 260 joint on an '88 hub. But I bought the entire inner axle assembly (unit bearings, hub, etc) off of a '96 XJ. I was told that there were changes that would prevent it from working on my axle (something to do with the brakes, if I recall correctly).

That was why I was trying to break it up, so I could use the old hub on the new axle. If I don't need to, well then, good for me! Too bad for Sears though (love that lifetime warranty).

Oh, and I hit it for a good 3-4 minutes with my 1/2" air gun, and it wouldn't budge. That was why I was using the breaker bar.

Heat + 1/2" gun = nut off.

CRASH

Heat + 1/2" gun = nut off.

Well, all I have is a propane torch, but I heated it up as best as I could with that, but no luck.

Really guys, I tried.

So, will the new assembly work as a set, or not?

Even if it would, you wouldn't want to put it in like that. Imagine a trail repair trying to get that nut off to change a broken shaft.

xj92 said:
Even if it would, you wouldn't want to put it in like that. Imagine a trail repair trying to get that nut off to change a broken shaft.

Um, I need to take it off and apart, and would only reuse part of it, with a liberal application of anti-seize.

LOL I did that Friday to a 1/2 Craftsman BB with a hi-lift handle for a cheater.

Usually that gets it for me, not this one, an original hub nut off an 89 housing.

Anti Seize is your buddy when you reassemble these things.

Wow, now I know I have made it, with the pres responding to one of my posts.

So, does anyone know if the hub from the late model works on older ones? I have heard it causes some problems with the brakes, perhaps the calipers won't bolt up or something.

Anyone?

Late-model hubs will work on early knuckles & calipers, BUT you have to use a rotor from the same year as the hub.

I ran a 97 hub/rotor on a 89 knuckle/caliper with ZERO problems

I put in the shafts and hubs from a 96 into my 93 and everything seems to be working fine. When/how is it gonna blow up on me?

woody said:
Late-model hubs will work on early knuckles & calipers, BUT you have to use a rotor from the same year as the hub.

I ran a 97 hub/rotor on a 89 knuckle/caliper with ZERO problems

Cool, thanks woody, that will save me from messing with a hub that I would have had to remove. Also now I don't have to buy a rotor, sweet. :D

well, at least the breaker bar was craftsman....bring it back to sears and git yourself a shiney new one! :D

Back