• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stealership ?'s

boogie94xj

NAXJA Forum User
so I get the printout back from the stealership cause i had them do the diagnostic work. They say I have a bad TDC sensor and I need to phaze the distributor. Can anyone tell me what a TDC sensor is/does cause it ain't list in my FSM. How does one go about phazing a distributor. BTW, I have an 88 MJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

TIA

TDC sensor? Got me, but since they are I beleive, talking about re-indexing the distributor, they may mean the cam position sensor (inside the distributor).
The symptom for re-indexing the distributor is bucking or surging of the motor, is that your problem?
I´ve unplugged the cam position sensor on mine, with no noiceable affects at idle. I routinely clean the plug under the distributor for the cam position sensor, as I´ve often found them oil soaked or moist inside/corrosion. Very low voltage, doesn´t take much to interrupt the pulse.
The distributor in my 88 had an amazing amount of play, due to worn drive gears and thrust wear. I could twist the rotor 3/8", without forceing anything and lift it almost as much. Worth a look.
A poorly indexed distributor usually showed up, when the vehicle was fairly new. Play can cause the indexing to change (distributor, timing chain), as will an after market cam. Crossfire, bucking or surging is often, corrosion in the distributor cap and/or faulty plug wires. Sometimes non-resistor plugs will cause crossfire.
The test sets, tell you the values of a specific sensor are out of the acceptable range. Which can be a faulty sensor, wiring, connectors or tolerances.
TDC sensor may be the CPS (crank position sensor). Maybe somebody else has some imput.
If you really think you have to re-index your distributor I can talk you through it, not real difficult. I have a little trick, not in the book that may be helpfull.

Most write-ups call the distributor phasing adjustment "indexing." Try a search using that term. I know it has been discussed on here many times.

thanks for the heads up guys. The truck has been running like crap for about 3 weeks so I finally broke down and took it in. The TDC as described by the parts guy is a replacement kit including the sensor and harnessto put a cps on the truck. If I have any further q's about the idexing I'll try a search and/or ask again if i can't figure things out from the FSM.

boogie94xj said:
The TDC as described by the parts guy is a replacement kit including the sensor and harnessto put a cps on the truck.

Not quite.

The XJ already has a CPS. It won't run without it. The CPS usually is good for about 100,000 miles, but some go longer and others don't make it that far. The kit he's talking about doesn't add a CPS, it's a stock replacement CPS that comes packaged with a harness to replace the OEM connection between the CPS and the ECU. Apparently the run was too long or it went through too many connectors, but they found that in some cases the signal was so weak that the ECU wouldn't read it. So they issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) with a harness to connect the CPS directly into the ECU, by-passing the main wiring harness.

Eagle said:
So they issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) with a harness to connect the CPS directly into the ECU, by-passing the main wiring harness.
Eagle - that's the C101 connector, right?

Yucca-Man said:
Eagle - that's the C101 connector, right?

Not sure. I know the C101 disappeared midway through the '89 model year, but I'd have to look at the wiring diagrams to see if the original CPS circuit feeds through C101. It probably does, but that's a guess at this point.

I haven't gotten the TDC sensor yet...hasn't come it. But i did replace the coolant temp sensor they said was bad and man what a difference. Mj appears to have some new life. I'll let you guys know how I make out after the TDC arrives.

And as always
Thanks for the assistance

Back