• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

commercial rock sliders

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
I’m looking for some experience with commercial rock sliders. I’m interested in some that can be used for “sliding on rock” the real deal, but I don’t want any that are just way over built as some seem to be. I like the way the Rocky Road rails are mounted but they look like they don’t stick out as much as say the Tomkens 2x4’s or the Olimpics/ORGS tube style. I like the look of the ORGS but look is definitely second to performance. What I don’t want is something that will make me feel protected and then let me down and do more damage than the rock would have when it comes lose. Who has use some that didn’t work well?

I have the ORGS super nerfs... Been beating them hard for 2 years, and I wouldn't trade them for any other brand.

They fit nice and tight to the body, but the nerf bar sticks out just enough to keep the doors off the rocks.

I've drug them over lots of rocks, and bashed them sideways, too. They don't budge. After the first couple hits, and you learn to trust them, it's almost like playing a game trying to find things to hit them on. But, I'm kinda twisted like that....

I like my Tomken's. One of my first mods, back in 97 and have landed on them hard with plenty of weight in the vehicle.

Thanks for all the input! I know I’ve heard some bad stuff about some of them. Anyone?

Tomken's will be the first to make you feel protected and then leave you down. They push up into the rockers with the weight of the jeep rested on them. If they had a full length pinch seam mount it would be better, but instead they are mounted on about 2 inches of it. Don't waste your money on these if you want something that will actually prtect the rockers....they do slide though. _nicko_

I have the Custom 4X4 double tube rails. I'm not sure if they handle rocks well, but alot of people tell me they look cool, and they are a great place to stand when I'm putting a fresh coat of wax on the roof.

Gearwhine,
That's interesting you should say that. Just after I put mine on I slide about 10 feet sideways and landed on a large rosck buried in a rather large mud hole. All four wheels were off the ground. I had three 200 lb individuals and about 4-500 lb of gear in my XJ at stock up-country height. No damage other than to the paint on the underside of the Tomken 2x4 rock rider. My one passenger figured I wouldn't be able to open my door because of the force which which we hit the rock.

Have they changed their design. Mine had two large bolts going into the bottom of the frame rail and two into the side for the two mounting brackets. The pinch seam mounts I put on loosely. It said not to tighten them down at the seam much past hand tight to allow some movement.

I did find out the frame rails aren't square, so you need to leave all the bolts very loose until you get the rail attached. It causes some real bind on the system once you tighten it all up and you can't slide the rails into thier channels on the end of the mounts.

Don't buy the Olympics. They deform under weight and will push into the door and the rocker panels. I can send some pics and so can Jes, Jes got pics of your Olympic bars? I like the ORGS ones and will upgrade when I got the money.

Mike

Why don't you just build them, I know you could easily do it for $150 or less. $50-100 in material, $50 for someone to weld them up, if you didn't have a buddy. The design's are actually pretty simple. As far as cutting the material, a skill saw with a metal blade should cut 90% of it, then use a drill for the bolt holes.

The only reason I went with the C4x4, is that I just started getting into my jeep at the time. With help here on the board, I know you could make your own. Save your money for the expensive stuff like gears and lockers. :D

XJ_MAC It sounds more like you were on your frame rails rather than your rock sliders if you had all 4 wheels off the ground. When mine was pushed up, it had most of the weight of my jeep laying on it, and it was a soft hit, barely shook me, except my shaking in terror :) . (picture down below, but doesn't show the the rocker). Lots of force, but they still didn't do what they're supposed to do. I had to cut off the stock mounts of the tomken's and add my own angle iron in about 10" lengths to each arm. I haven't had a problem with them since. I have the 2x2's also, but I think the 2x4's are the same type of mounting. I will be cutting my rockers out and welding in some 2x5 or some sort in place.
170272_5_full.jpg

haha, If Kolb wasn't there holding onto my bumper...who knows what would've happened. :) My Jeep was more like a jungle gym once we established I wasn't going over. Everyone was having so much fun climbing all over the side, standing on the tires, sticking their heads in my window to make sure I didn't wet myself, making fun of my faces of terror, etc. _nicko_

Ya, don't get the Olympic4X4 ones...
picture.JPG

...maybe I'm a little hard on my equipment but these rails bend and dent the body.

Jes

Jes, I've seen a few other of that design do that!

Actually I was setting at an angle, not as steep as your picture, on the driver's side mostly. Maybe I was lucky. I've used them for pivots a couple times also. I wish i could have seen how yours were installed. I'm wondering if they were really tight against the rocker or maybe you installed the mounts with the rail installed on them. Just postulating mechanical theory. I really had to loosen evrything up and push/pull to get the rails onto/into the end of the mounts after I installed the mounts first. Once I tightened it all up there was a great deal of stiffness/tightness added by the torsion tension caused by that. Does any of that make any sense?

Back