• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Q's

jeepxjga

NAXJA Forum User
alright, first let me say i can't figure this crap out and its driving me nuts cause my rig is just sittin on the trailer begging to be taken out. i bought a 89 xj 4.0 pioneer, with supposedly a 91 motor in it. the tranny was a 2wd tranny, but the jeep was originally 4wd. anyway, i took the tranny/tcase out of my 92, threw it in the 89 and swapped over all my suspension stuff, axles, springs, etc. ok, well, i finally got everything in and hooked up, but the alternator bracket was torn to peices and the alternator that the PO had on there didn't even look like it was from an xj. so i scrapped that and got an alternator and bracket for a 91. well, the bracket bolted right up fine and dandy, and so did the alternator, got the belt on and looked to hook the alternator up. there is a yellow wire and a tan/blk wire coming from the loom that were hooked up to a generic plug that was plugged into the orig. alternator. i disconnected the plug, but low and behold, on a 91 alternator there is a little black box that bolts to the alt. well i don't have this box, so i figured well i'll just get an alt. for an 89. ok, the alternator does not bolt up to the bracket that is on the block. WTF!!!??? so my question is, how can i make the alternator for the 91 work with the 89 wires??? there are two terminals coming off the alternator aside from the wire going to the battery. can i make this work or what? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

bump

Back