• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard to start XJ

My 95 is very well maintained and it has always taken a little longer to start than your average vehicle. In order to avoid this I turn the key to the on position, wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to prime (you can hear it) and then turn it over and it fires up within a second or two. If I don't do this it take around four or five seconds if it has been sitting for a while.

When cold turn your key to on, you should hear the fuel pump, wait 15 seconds and turn the key to start it, if it fires right up it's the anti-drainback valve on the fuel pump that is not keeping pressure when you shut the engine off. The system is supposed to maintain fuel PRESSURE for about an hour or so but is suppose to keep fuel in the system for a long time. If the drainback is bad that fuel is running out back into the tank and that 5 second wait is for it to refill the fuel lines and get it back up to pressure.
Could also need a tune up, 5 seconds is pretty short but is noticeable, our jeeps all start in less than a second for comparison.

what does waiting 15 seconds do, wont the fuel pressure just drain back into the fuel tank? im really confused, my girlfriends jeep has the exact same problem!

As long as you start it right after the pump shuts off, no problems....

My 87 Renix 4.0 takes 5-7 seconds (about 7-8 Revs) to get going, which for a Renix system is actually pretty good.....

you can do what these guys are saying but if you want to FIX the problem you can get a new fuel sending unit and be done with it. But i can understand why you wouldnt want to drop the cash on a new pump if it is working properly

I have the same problem with my '89 RENIX. I've never had my jeep not start entirely, but on days when its been sitting for a while, it does take a second to crank. A buddy of mine has had the same problem with all three of his xj's (all of them RENIX) and he never did anything about it and never had a problem. As stated above, you could drop cash on the sender, or you could just enjoy the fact that you get to spend 5 extra seconds with your jeep

You can put a inline check valve in quite easily. BMW has one that ppl use, but you have to get it from a dealer....good luck.
Basically any one that is is the right size for the line and will handle the pressure will work
I have been using OMC outboard ones on mine.

i had the same problem, till i changed the fuel filter, cranks in 2 seconds now...it was full of black crud

change that filter and I'll bet you it starts faster

Back