• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

length of driveshafts

XJANDREWNH

NAXJA Forum User
im doing a 8 in lift and trying to get lenghts of drive shafts it has a hack n tap on a 242 and 30/35 in it any help appreciated would like lengths before i lift it

if you measure your current rear Driveshaft from the front of one end to the other, then add how ever much lift you are putting on your jeep, then that should be the length of the ds you will need. i think the stock length on xj's are something like 29.5 inchs, just go and measure it then add 8 inchs or whatever to it and there ya go

dantheman said:
if you measure your current rear Driveshaft from the front of one end to the other, then add how ever much lift you are putting on your jeep, then that should be the length of the ds you will need. i think the stock length on xj's are something like 29.5 inchs, just go and measure it then add 8 inchs or whatever to it and there ya go

There's no way a driveshaft for an 8" lift would be 8"s longer than stock.

Remember that guy named Pythagorean from your Geometry class in high school?

Well, your driveshaft is the long leg of the triangle.

Do it this way:

1: Measure from the output shaft of the tcase straight down to the imaginary point where it's level with the pinion yoke. If your jeep isn't lifted yet, estimate how much height will be gained by the lift and add that in.

2: Measure from that imaginary point straight back to the pinion yoke.

3: You now have two distances, "a" and "b". Your driveshaft length will be "c", or the long leg of the triangle.

4. Plug it into "a2+b2=c2"

|
|a
|
|_____b______

5. Don't forget to take the square root of "c". My shaft is about 32".

Try this link if it doesn't make sense: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/proof/puzzle/theorem.html

dantheman said:

SPOBI

The best way is to lift, do the hack n' tap or SYE or whatever you choose (make sure your pinion is pointed at the output or slightly under) and then measure it. That way you don't buy two shafts. For the guy that said add 8" to your shaft SPOBI.

CJS

Back