• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ways to get good MPG?

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
As of late, i've noticed my gas running out faster than usual and the MPG totals are pretty much horrendous. I have a '94, I used to get around 16 to 18 mpg city, but now I'm getting like, 10, 11. I've read that the fault could be a dead oxygen sensor.. It's wintertime now so, the cold could be an factor but I dont think that would acutally cause a huge drop in the mileage.. what do you guys recommend I look at? everything else is just peachy.

I understand that advanced auto will plug in a diagnostics reader, don't know if that will show a borderline failing or bum O2 sensor or not. Don't know about 94's but my 98 has two of them, cost around $120 for both IIRC and I am planning on replacing them in a couple of weeks, figure at 194,000 it's about time. Hope it helps mine a bit. I've been getting 18-20 lately instead of my normal 22-23...
My cynical side says the oil companies are playing around with the gas again, back in december ALL of our vehicles took a 20% milage hit, that lasted for about 2 months then the milages started coming back up again. Several member of BMJA also noticed this as a few of us use them for service vehicles. I'm very sensitive to gas milage when I drive it every day and keep track of my milage vs gallons of fuel I buy for tax purposes... I noticed the hit around the week of December 15th and was waiting for a 'checkengine' light to tell me something was wrong but that never happened.

Yeah, I agree with you, rich about the oil companies screwing around. In the winter they add an additive to the gas which they ssay it helps to burn better and wont affect anything.. I say BS. Over the summer, it was fablous, no problems, decent mileage, etc then I get to school (rochester, NY) winter arrives, I notice a slow decline and i've hit 9 mpg once in sub zero weathers so THAT has to be an factor. Mileage has been better lately but I don't know. The Jeep's due in for an oil change soon, end of month or so. At that point i'll take it to the garage and ask em to check it out.. you say $120? o_O me poor college student :-/. But it has to be done to save a few down the road. btw, Jeep is acutally 113 miles away from hitting 130k.

You might also want to check the entire fuel system for leaks.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago. Fuel was leaking out of the outlet hose
at the fuel tank. It had been warm lately and fuel was leaking and dribbling between the rubber skid pad and puddling onto the ground - but it would
evaporate before I ever noticed it. Luckily, a sharp-eyed passerby pointed
to it for me in a parking lot.

Look for tell-tale signs of varnish and dry fuel stains along the tank or filter
or fuel injector rail.

Be sure to depressurize the system before doing any fiddling with the fuel
hoses and connections.

I know little about the HO 4.0s, but I cracked the plasstic hose that plumbs the throttle body to the MAF sensor (on the firewall on my non-HO) and it immediately ran like doo-doo and went from 18 to 10 mpg.

buy a VW for daily BS driving.

I got mine for $20, best $20 I ever spent!

bought it on thursday, drove the piss out of it, STILL didn't hafta put gas in it!

Back