• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ fender flares and 33s?

Prepmech

NAXJA Member #981
I have seen a few pictures of the newer cherokees with 33s or larger running the stock fender flares, with what appears to be no trimming. I have a '00 with 5.5" of lift. I put on a set of 33x12.50s on 15x10 wheels we had laying around the garage yesterday. The back tires stuffed into the fenders without any problems or rubbing, but the fronts rubbed my flares and front bumper. Is this just because of the width of the wheels, or will 33s just not fit with stock flares? I am going to be running my 15x8 wheels with 33s, do I need new flares or more lift? I would prefer to keep my stock flares.
Thanks

anything bigger than a 31" really won't fit into the stock flare/wheelwell. You could lift it to the sky and extend your bumpstops to keep the tire out of everything, but trimming is a much more functional solution.

On my 98XJ I hacked the front fenders all the way up to the washer fluid container and then reinstalled the stock flares about 2"s higher then they were stock. My 35x12.50 tires on 15x10 rims tuck nicely with 6.5"s of lift.

I was wanting to keep my stock flares because I have a aev rear bumper ordered that works with the stock rear bumper corners. But, since I ordered the bumper four months ago and there is still no ETA, I think I'm going to go ahead and loose the stock flares and go with some bushwacker fender flares and a different rear bumper.
thanks for all the help!

Prepmech said:
I was wanting to keep my stock flares because I have a aev rear bumper ordered that works with the stock rear bumper corners. But, since I ordered the bumper four months ago and there is still no ETA, I think I'm going to go ahead and loose the stock flares and go with some bushwacker fender flares and a different rear bumper.
thanks for all the help!

Just go no fenders, unless you have laws. An angel grinder cuts pretty clean too. :D

Fletch85 said:
On my 98XJ I hacked the front fenders all the way up to the washer fluid container and then reinstalled the stock flares about 2"s higher then they were stock. My 35x12.50 tires on 15x10 rims tuck nicely with 6.5"s of lift.

Have any pics? Just how did you move it up? Did you still use the stock mounting braket things?

Thanks

ZachMan said:
Just go no fenders,
to you guys who cut them off:
i'm looking for rear oem fender flares for '97 or newer body style XJ.
:helpme:

I relocated my rear flares and was going to relocate the front but decided not to put them on

Back