• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil, gas, temp guages all screwy

racer122

NAXJA Forum User
So, while wiring up two mods this past week (I'm on vacation), I somehow managed to mess up my guage pod.

I have installed new bling ricer lights under my bumper (the $20 blue colored ones from Wallyworld). I tapped the "ign" single hot lead in the fuse block, and grounded to the chassis. Nothing fancy.

I also wired up the 1/2 gear switch so the tranny won't shift. Also, nothing fancy.

I also chopped the wires through the passenger windshield shade, which provides power for the dome lights. I have since reconnected them.

Somewhere, in doing that, I have messed up my guages, and they are all haywire now. My oil guage is pegged (infinite resistance), and so is the gas guage. The temp guage is off, and it shows no voltage on the volt meter.

Is there a common ground that I have bumped off, or what may I have done?

Billy

Sounds as if you broke a ground somewhere, and now the voltmeter is seeking ground through the engine sensors. As I recall from my 87, the voltmeter shares a ground with the cigarette lighter, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ties in with the interior lights.

Matthew Currie said:
Sounds as if you broke a ground somewhere, and now the voltmeter is seeking ground through the engine sensors. As I recall from my 87, the voltmeter shares a ground with the cigarette lighter, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ties in with the interior lights.

You know, when I was messing with the tranny switch, I briefly used a ground that I tapped into the gear indicator light. I bet that ties to the cig lighter, and may be the source of my problems. I'll check it, thanks.

Back