• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best D44 for XJ front

cLAYH

NAXJA Forum User
So what is the best D44 to build up for the front of an XJ? An old style Bronco or a '80s Wagoneer or something else?. Not concerned about which is stronger or has better brakes or anything. Just which fits better width wise, pumpkin clearance on pan/exhaust, etc.

I know where I can get an early Bronco D44 with the RE TJ bracket kit partially installed onto it. How well would this fit an XJ?

My XJ is an '89 with 4.5" of lift(no spacers) will probably go to 6" with the axle.

oops, i read your reply too fast i guess and though you were referring to the Rubi "D44" as the best D44 for what he's asking

based on the criteria he layed out:
Not concerned about which is stronger or has better brakes or anything. Just which fits better width wise, pumpkin clearance on pan/exhaust, etc.
a Rubi axle actually would be best

however i would consider it a major waste of time and money.

The pumkin on EB 44's are more centered than others meaning less clearance than other 44's out there. The best way for you to compare would be to go through Warn's axle site & compare axle lengths. Being that the EB axle is low pinion the clearance isn't has much of an issue although I wouldn't run it with less than 8" of lift. Both the EB & waggy 44's should fit well width wise.

The question has to be asked though, if not for the bigger brakes, ball joints, & such why are you wanting to swap in a low pinion 44? An argument can be made that the strength difference between the low pinion 44 & a high pinion 30 is marginal at best.

Matt

FarmerMatt, you seem to be weakening in your defense of the EB axel swap. You have defended it pretty well in the past,stating that with a good price for the initial set up it was a worthwhile swap. Has something happened that changed you mind?

Also, where is the clearance issue going to be at 6" lift with an EB axel.

motorman said:
FarmerMatt, you seem to be weakening in your defense of the EB axel swap. You have defended it pretty well in the past,stating that with a good price for the initial set up it was a worthwhile swap. Has something happened that changed you mind?

Also, where is the clearance issue going to be at 6" lift with an EB axel.

I think what he is commenting on is the fact that a LOW pinion ring and pinion are not NEARLY as strong as a HP44. The HP30 is probly just as strong as a LP44. Only because the LP44 is running on the backside of the ring gear, aka weak side of gear. But the total package of the EB44 is a HUGE upgrade over a HP30 for the sheer fact of the abilities to run MUCH stronger axle shaft, run a VERY high clearance steering setup, and it was the same width as a stock HP30. Matt will never run more than 35's on that axle, he toasted one of the only known broken warn shafts. It is a great swap for anyone with little tech skills.

Also on the EB44, when he says the "pumkin" is more centered. He means that the offset is much different than a typical front Jeep axle. Which could cause some serious problems with clearance of the oil pan, steering system. That is mostly why you should be around 8" of lift.

Sorry for answering your question Matt, but just couldn't resist! :confused1

MATT :patriot:

I still love my front end. For the price I paid & the ease of swapping it into the XJ I still hold it's a good swap. I just wanted it to be known that swapping a 44 under the front of an XJ just to be cool is stupid at best. R&P strength is low on the list when it comes to benefits of a 44. The reason to swap are big brakes, ball joints, big lockout hubs, more steering options, & the list continues. Most of which cLAYH just seems to discount. I just wanted to make it clear that R&P strength would not be the reason to swap out the 30.

Matt

In cLAYH's defense here, he says he's not concerned about the strength and brake differences of different D44, not between the d44 and d30. I'm going to assume he knows any D44 is going to be better in general than the d30 for many reasons. So what he's asking is which would be the easiest swap. That would be a Rubicon axle as it would just bolt in, but as max pointed out it's not a real d44 and doesn't provide many of the main benefits of a d44.

The next best thing would be a d44 already setup for an XJ (duh), TJ, or ZJ (I think). As the axle cLAYH is looking at is partially set-up for a TJ, it would be a good starting point. I think waggy 44's have a more compatible offset, but there is alot more fabrication involved than running the ford radius arms.

FWIW I just bolted in an axle set-up for a TJ without a hitch.

HTHs

Thanks for the replies everyone.

FarmerMatt said:
The question has to be asked though, if not for the bigger brakes, ball joints, & such why are you wanting to swap in a low pinion 44? An argument can be made that the strength difference between the low pinion 44 & a high pinion 30 is marginal at best.

Matt

The reason for the swap is mainly for the better bearings and more choice on wheel bolt pattern so I can match whatever I decide to put in the back. I have had a few 4X4's with Front D44s and have lots of D44 parts in my garage. Just no housing with a driver's side drop. :(

So my original plan was to use as much of my original D30 mounts as possible on a D44 from a Wagoneer. But then I came across this Early Bronco housing with the RE TJ bracket kit already partially welded on so I thought that might be an easier way to go.

But from what I have been hearing here about clearance issues and with the cost of what the guy wants for the TJ axle I think I might just build my own using a Wagoneer D44. Cheaper and probably better in the long run. Just means more work. :)

Scrappy said:
I think what he is commenting on is the fact that a LOW pinion ring and pinion are not NEARLY as strong as a HP44. The HP30 is probly just as strong as a LP44. Only because the LP44 is running on the backside of the ring gear, aka weak side of gear.

a HP diff is approximately 20% stronger in the R&P than a LP, and that's assuming you're going forward. The LP D44 is still stronger in the R&P than a HP D30, even going forwards. Now throw both in reverse and the LP D44 is WAY, WAY stronger than the HP D30.

i also don't know why people complain about the pinion clearance on LP D44s, spend $5 and 1.5 hours cutting and turning the knuckles and that pinion gets pretty far out of the way.

yes, i still consider the main advantages of my D44 to be the shafts, knuckles, hubs, housing, etc. But the gears are stronger in forward and way stronger in reverse also. you can also gear much lower than a D30.

The EB axle fits the XJ fairly well although you will have to watch clearance between it & the exhaust. Check to see if the guy has upgraded axle shaft & brakes because most have 260 joints & drum brakes. Here's a pic of my EB 44 under my rig.

Matt
botw30491.jpg

Back