• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unit bearing hub life

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
How long does a unit bearing hub usually last? I've never seen an expected life for one.

--Matt

Never seen an MTBF on them anywhere...

i doubt there is a good estimate of expected life out there because of all the different factors that affect life span. one thing is for sure, the bigger the tires, and the less backspacing on your wheels, and the more you wheel your Jeep; the shorter they'll last.

egon said:
How long does a unit bearing hub usually last? I've never seen an expected life for one.

--Matt
Not sure this is an accurate measuring stick but my 89 is running original unit bearings with 183K miles, 83K of those with a 31" or larger tire. Just stepped up to 285/75/16's on Jeep Moab wheels (Rubi units) which will add more stress.............but sure as I post this, they'll start growling next week!

It's impossible to predict. I bought my '88 XJ new. It's now at 240,000 miles (+/- a couple of hundred due to the speedo and odometer crapping out last week). One side has been replaced twice, and the other side is STILL on the original hub. (Cross my fingers!)

It seems to vary. MY 87 needed both at around 150K. My stepson's 93 has originals (or assumed to be) at 193K. My 95 has originals at 203K, still all right even though I accidentally pulled one apart with a slide hammer doing a U-joint about 50 thousand miles ago! I just stuffed a little new grease in it and put it back together. I expect it to go bad any time now, probably within the next hundred thousand miles. :)

Best I can tell the PS side one I replaced was original and it was at 265,000 miles.
Mike B.

Well, I just a new one in this weekend and left the axle shaft out and I will tel you they dont last more than a couple hundred feet before spitting themselves out along with the tire, steering knuckle and damaging your fender.

When I did this I didnt even think about the hub actually seperating without at least the outer stub in. It was actually very funny when it happend beacuse youcould hear the brain fart go " I didnt think this all the way through did I!!"

Mine were howling @ 50K miles - but they took a bath in thick clay mud for several hours a couple of times.

Always take a friend who's got something other than a stock pickup truck. :)

Eagle said:
One side has been replaced twice, and the other side is STILL on the original hub. (Cross my fingers!)
You KNOW you just cursed it, right Eagle? :laugh:

Back