• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gibson exhaust

mikie2084

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at the gibson cat back systems for my 98 xj but can't find one to fit. The site says will not fit if the application has welded tailpipe hanger. Well my xj had the welded hanger till it rusted through about 4 months ago, now a good ol clothes hanger is holding the tailpipe. So is there any way the gibson will work on my xj, and if so how could I hang the tailpipe?

Thanks

mike

I'd have to look at a new XJ to confirm, but I would assume you could use the same rear hanger (we are talking rear, correct?) that was used on the early ones -- a rubber strap with an offset (Z-shaped) piece at the bottom of it that clamps to the tailpipe with a muffler clamp.

On the non-hitch models the rubber strap bolts to two studs set into weld nuts or nutserts int he frame. With a hitch or a skid, they used a flat plate with two studs in that, and the plate bolts up to the nut strip inside the frame rail.

All those parts are still available through dealers.

mikie2084 said:
I was looking at the gibson cat back systems for my 98 xj but can't find one to fit. The site says will not fit if the application has welded tailpipe hanger. Well my xj had the welded hanger till it rusted through about 4 months ago, now a good ol clothes hanger is holding the tailpipe. So is there any way the gibson will work on my xj, and if so how could I hang the tailpipe?

Thanks

mike

yo mike,
i have a gibson exhaust on my 98 and the rear hanger thing is no prob. i know what you're talking about and it doesn't even matter. just get it and it should fit, mine did.

brandon

Back