• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extreme power loss

SouSy

NAXJA Forum User
My mom called me today and said that her 85 2.5L ax5 was just putting along a 25 mph to work today. That has been happening everyonce and a while, but today I guess was a bad day. Anyway, it kinda sounds like a plugged cat, but the exaust is new (At least the PO said it was when we bought it). Anyone have any ideas?

Two thoughts:

(1) A "New exhaust" may mean different things to different people. Mufflers and tailpipes around my neck of the woods are usually good for about three years, but the original catalytic converter lasted for 12. I would not assume that "new exhaust" included a new catalytic converter.

(2) A 1985 2.5L has a truly awful carburetor, that's partially computer controlled. It also has an EGR valve that can plug up. After 19 years, it would not surprise me if the carburetor is in need of replacement or serious work, and I would also have the EGR checked.

{Edit} Add #3: Any possibility that the choke is sticking in the closed or partially-closed position? That would make it run rich and really choke down the amount of air that could flow through the engine.

Eagle said:
Two thoughts:

(1) A "New exhaust" may mean different things to different people. Mufflers and tailpipes around my neck of the woods are usually good for about three years, but the original catalytic converter lasted for 12. I would not assume that "new exhaust" included a new catalytic converter.

(2) A 1985 2.5L has a truly awful carburetor, that's partially computer controlled. It also has an EGR valve that can plug up. After 19 years, it would not surprise me if the carburetor is in need of replacement or serious work, and I would also have the EGR checked.

{Edit} Add #3: Any possibility that the choke is sticking in the closed or partially-closed position? That would make it run rich and really choke down the amount of air that could flow through the engine.
I just had the carb rebuilt, I guess i'll take it to the guy again and have him look at it.

Back