• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-brake cable 'lengthen'

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know about using the pass-side E-brake cable from a YJ but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just fab up some new mounts out of some angle iron and weld them to the bottom of the cherokee maybe 4-6" further back than the current mount that holds the sleeve the cable slides thru. Then just adjust the long threaded rod the cable connects to back that same distance and viola no e-brake cable problems and you don't have to pull off the drums and remove the stock cables and string the YJ cables thru the backing plate.
Am I missing something there because I've looked at it a couple of times and it looks like it will work fine I'm just trying to get better with welding before I start any project now that I have a welder.
TIA
:confused:

GroversXJ said:
I know about using the pass-side E-brake cable from a YJ but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just fab up some new mounts out of some angle iron and weld them to the bottom of the cherokee maybe 4-6" further back than the current mount that holds the sleeve the cable slides thru. Then just adjust the long threaded rod the cable connects to back that same distance and viola no e-brake cable problems and you don't have to pull off the drums and remove the stock cables and string the YJ cables thru the backing plate.
Am I missing something there because I've looked at it a couple of times and it looks like it will work fine I'm just trying to get better with welding before I start any project now that I have a welder.
TIA
:confused:

yes, you can do that, but for me it was just easier to get YJ cables.

ChuckD said:
I hate messing with my drum brakes. IMHO it is much easier to relocate.

http://home.comcast.net/~cdutke/ebrake/ebrake.htm

I'm not sure if you have an Early XJ or later, but the concept is still the same.

Yeah that's the same idea but even easier that what I was thinking. Thanks for the pic's. :clap:
thanks again

I just moved mine back toward the rear bumper about 5 inches. Unbolt, shift, mark, and drill. Real easy. Ther was enough slack to go about 2 inches further, but I didn't think I needed it yet.

martianxj said:
I just moved mine back toward the rear bumper about 5 inches. Unbolt, shift, mark, and drill. Real easy. Ther was enough slack to go about 2 inches further, but I didn't think I needed it yet.

Looking under there again today it looked like the original brackets that hold the cable sleeves are spot welded on not bolted. Mine is a '90, were they bolted on in other years or did you have to chisel them off with an air hammer? Did you have to weld on another length of all thread to where the cables attach to the existing threaded rod of the E-brake lever?

GroversXJ said:
Looking under there again today it looked like the original brackets that hold the cable sleeves are spot welded on not bolted. Mine is a '90, were they bolted on in other years or did you have to chisel them off with an air hammer? Did you have to weld on another length of all thread to where the cables attach to the existing threaded rod of the E-brake lever?

I got a coupler and some all thread, I though a small spot weld just to keep it form moving. I belive the all thread is metric, you can cross thread a 5/16" cousre on it. After I hav edone mine. I have not had any reason to mess with it. I have about 8" of extra lenth. more than you will ever need.

I did the same thing Chuck did .... basicly.... I shaped a peice of 2" strap to the same contour of the tunnel then welded another 2" piece of strap across the back (vertically) then drilled 2 holes and screwed it to the underside. I extended the rod the same way with a coupler nut.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back