• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer front brakelines

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK... I've got my front apart so I might as well do something about the brakelines. What do you guys recommend for over the counter lines? YJ two passenger ones??

Kejtar said:
OK... I've got my front apart so I might as well do something about the brakelines. What do you guys recommend for over the counter lines? YJ two passenger ones??

Kidnda confused. I think the YJ thing is for E-brake lines. Up fron you can use Chevy IFS IIRC, or go to a parts store and ask for SS brake lines. just get the lond ones.

MATT

YJ brake lines are what I use in the front. I just straightened the rear hard line. Somewhere between 2-4" more hose in front. I know I run out of flex before running out of hose.

GI-John said:
YJ brake lines are what I use in the front. I just straightened the rear hard line. Somewhere between 2-4" more hose in front. I know I run out of flex before running out of hose.

Did you use one from each side? or both from the same??

I just used left and right YJ non ABS front brakelines and straightened my hardlines. Still have plenty of brakeline flexing with 6.5" lift.

YJ brake lines are longer than XJ brake lines, both front and back. You can get stock YJ brake lines from any parts house, either side in front and the back one, and bolt them right up on the XJ. I also heard that S-10 brake lines are even longer than YJ's.

Personally, I don't like stainless steel brake lines. I've seen many, many brake lines break on the trail, and they've all been stainless steel. There's no give, or stretch, like in a stock rubber line, so if they get pulled or snag on something they come apart. Also, stock lines are cheap and easy to replace, and it's inexpensive to carry a spare.

Goatman said:
YJ brake lines are longer than XJ brake lines, both front and back. You can get stock YJ brake lines from any parts house, either side in front and the back one, and bolt them right up on the XJ. I also heard that S-10 brake lines are even longer than YJ's.

Personally, I don't like stainless steel brake lines. I've seen many, many brake lines break on the trail, and they've all been stainless steel. There's no give, or stretch, like in a stock rubber line, so if they get pulled or snag on something they come apart. Also, stock lines are cheap and easy to replace, and it's inexpensive to carry a spare.

I already have the rear YJ and it's perfect. In the front I'm missing for the "turn": I dropped the axle on one end, jacked it up on the other end and when it's straight it's just enough... but if I was to turn.... well.... it'd be ebrake time :D

I think you're right also on the stainless snapping while the rubber is stretching :D OK... off to the parts store tomorrow then :D

Last edited:
I used the YJ rubber lines on my +4.75" MJ...straightened the hard lines on the caliper end of the hose and also straightened/relocated the hard line coming down the fender: Plenty of slack at full droop.

I got s/s on the XJ, but I sheathed them in cheap clear hose....more to resist abrasion than anything. I had a rear s/s hose fail on my Harley due to the s/s braid chafing and abrading through the rubber liner :eek:

Back