• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible 1996 XJ Purchase

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

My neighbor is considering purchasing an XJ and asked my advise about this particular XJ. The details follow so you can tell what type of equip. and mileage, price, ect. I have an '88 but later models have different issues so I am wondering what else to check besides the typical stuff for the 1996 model year. I know the 4.0L had some head issues in later models... Thanks in advance!

Price: $7,490
Year: 1996
Mileage: 91,773
Color: Teal Blue

Transmission: Automatic
Doors: 4

Description
This vehicle has a 4.0L I6 MPI engine and an automatic transmission. It includes Child-proof Locks, Reclining Seats, Tachometer, Fold Down Rear Seat, Map Lights, Vanity Mirror, Interval Wipers, Inside Hood Release, Courtesy Lights, Carpeting, Roof Luggage Rack, Wood Grain, Two-tone Paint, Towing Package, Fog/Driving Lamps, 4 Wheel Drive, Rear Defroster, Rear Wiper, Tinted Glass, Accent Stripes, Alloy Wheels, Rear Shoulder Harness, Power Driver`s Seat, Power Mirrors, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Power Steering, Console, Center Arm Rest, Bucket Seats, Cloth Seats, LH Front Side Airbag, CD Player, AM/FM Radio, Air Conditioning, Clock, Trip Odometer, Tilt Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Compass, and Leather Wrapped St..

The guy want retail book for the thing. Is it in cherry shape? Seems like he's waiting for the RIGHT GUY to come along :nono:

I think he is asking about $ 2500 too much give or take..

Wait. Something with lower miles will come along. Then step up...:party:

SCOTT FISCHER said:
The guy want retail book for the thing. Is it in cherry shape? Seems like he's waiting for the RIGHT GUY to come along :nono:

I think he is asking about $ 2500 too much give or take..

Wait. Something with lower miles will come along. Then step up...:party:

I agree. That price is a little inflated. I bought a 95' xj se 4.0L/auto/231 t-case/no center console/112K etc. for $3K from Salem, OR (govt./fleet vehicles) off of ebay. I have seen 96' cherokees go for under $3,500 so I wouldn't pay over $4 to $4,500 for 1. There are plenty of cherokees out there. If you hold out for the 97'+ you will get the new body style with the revised interior.

Price is local Stealership so of course it's totally inflated. I'm just wondering about any 96 year specific things to be aware of. I'm working off old renix systems stuff and this thing's going to have the newer electronics and stuff I've never had to mess with. Thanks for the price info though, I was thinking about 4500 if it's in excellent shape would be about right. Thanks again everyone!

Hawaiian Style said:
Price is local Stealership so of course it's totally inflated. I'm just wondering about any 96 year specific things to be aware of. I'm working off old renix systems stuff and this thing's going to have the newer electronics and stuff I've never had to mess with. Thanks for the price info though, I was thinking about 4500 if it's in excellent shape would be about right. Thanks again everyone!

In 96' you would have the 297 u-joints (same as a dana 44) & if you have the 8.25 without (without abs) you will have the stronger 29 spline axle shafts. Both of these lend themselves to a pretty strong driveline with the 4.0L/4 speed auto tranny/231 or 242 t-case. I have this in my 91' xj while running 35" mtrs. The 8.25 is in the neighborhood of a dana 44 & you can find them really cheap, there aren't a lot of lockers to chose from for the 29 spline just no-slip, detroit, arb (I think). In 95-1/2 Jeep started using 297 u-joints in the dana 30. The 97' has the newer body style & interior that is a nice change after the same body style from 84'-96'.

Back