• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what wire runs power to interior?

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
On an 89 XJ what wire runs power to the interior. I have upgraded most of the wiring up to this point and I am still getting low voltage to the interior. the wipers run slow, volt guage reads low, ect...

Thanks.

I cleaned the ground at the drivers side firewall. Cleaned to bare metal and added a couple of star washers. Changed the position of most all of my gauges. Cleaning the batterty to motor ground (near the dip stick mount) and adding a couple of grounds also helped. I added a ground from negative battery to the front clip and an extra ground from the alternator to the motor block.
Also found the wiring under the drivers side carpet, was frayed and corroded, serious line leak. Quite a bit of juice was leaking throught the moist carpet pad to ground. Enough to dim my interior lights and occasionally cause a blown fuse.
A low volt gauge doesn´t mean much, unless the voltage at the battery is low (below 14 volts or so). The volt gauges are notoriously inacurate, and the voltage will drop some anyway, when the battery is fully charged.
Cleaning and adding grounds, brightened my headlights, improved gauge function and seemed to help the starter turn over faster. The battery also seemed to fill up faster, after prolonged very cold weather starts.

Cleaner grounds and thicker batt cables work great.

Back