• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument cluster swap question

jeo

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to swap an instrument cluster from a 97 XJ, that has all the guages and tach, into a 98 XJ that currently has dummy lights and no tach?
Anyone done something like this? Advice? Writeups? Please? :wantyou:

Yes.

Look for a write-up by Rich Pierson, about a month to 6 weeks ago. Might be on the Modified Tech forum. It should be a drop-in, plug-and-play swap.

Eagle, once again, you are the man. Thanks.

Forgot -- Rich's screen name is RichP

When you do this swap remove the bulb marked 'windshield washer fluid low' now when your window fluid is low you will get a 'security' light instead, for some reason they are reversed on the panel between 98 and 97.... if you leave it in the windshield washer low will stay on permanently but if you want that yellow light by all means leave it in... Mine is a 98XJ and the cluster is out of a 97...or so I was told by the place that sold it to me...
It is a drop in just remember to put ALL the screws back, I forgot 4 and had to take the thing apart again... but that was OK because I also forgot to record the milage on the original and add it to the back page of the owners manual so that if any questions come up about the milage discrepancy at inspection and registration time I have a record of it...

Back