• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Granby Visit

mattb

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone! Being from Vegas I don't visit this forum often, but I'm going to be heading to Granby, CO for a freinds wedding this September and was wondering if anyone can suggest any good places to do some offroading.

I'm only running 31's with a 3+" lift, but I'm locked rear and have plenty of armor so a few technical runs would be good. Some really good scenery / high passes would be interesting also.

Are there folks around this area, or is it out in the middle of nowhere?

Thanks,

Matt

mattb said:
Hi everyone! Being from Vegas I don't visit this forum often, but I'm going to be heading to Granby, CO for a freinds wedding this September and was wondering if anyone can suggest any good places to do some offroading.

I'm only running 31's with a 3+" lift, but I'm locked rear and have plenty of armor so a few technical runs would be good. Some really good scenery / high passes would be interesting also.

Are there folks around this area, or is it out in the middle of nowhere?

Thanks,

Matt

Holy Cross, Grizzly Peak, Red Cone, . I am sure the Northern members have a few to offer up as well.....

If you really want to plan your trip, buy one of the books from Charles Wells entitled "Colorado Backroads and 4wd Trails". They have excellent directions and trail descriptions, although his ratings of difficulty are conservative. The first edition is a general book and the second focuses specifically on Northern Colorado trails.

If you are willing to meet halfway with the Denver crowd, I recommend Spring Creek as a good technical trail for 3" with a locker. Just drive through Rocky Mountain National Park for scenery...the main road is above treeline for about 11 miles. Simply incredible, and the other scenery in the park at that time of year is just about unparalled.

Nay

Great suggestions so far. I've been able to find info on all but "Grizzly Peak." Closer to Denver won't be bad. I actually may be in Denver for a while.

Any other suggestions? I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there and any members in the area.

I'll see about picking up that book, I have noticed that the ratings seem to be conservative. I particularly liked this warning:

"It has been quoted that Red Cone Pass has the highest incidence of Rollovers in Colorado. The trail is very dangerous and can destroy a vehicle before the driver knows what is going on "

Thanks,

Matt

Red Cone is an easy trail now. They bladed the downhill section with all the loose rock. I did it with 31's and 3" when it was a real challenge. I ran it last year and it was a breeze. It is a really beautiful trail. It would be a nice way to head back home from Denver. Take Red Cone then Radical Hill and drop down into Breckenridge. You could then catch I-70 west or head south to Ouray.

I would hit the Ouray area either coming or going. If you run the Black Bear / Imogene Pass loop, you will never forget it. Unbelievable scenery and not very hard. Don't let everybody scare you about Black Bear. We will be running it this August with the Colorado NAXJA event.

I will be building a site that covers the trails we will be running in that area

:wave: Hi Matt,
Rollin's Pass is a fun, if short, trail from Winter Park to Rollinsville (fun part is short- rest is dirt road, nice views tho'). From there it's about 40-50 minutes to Denver. I prefer doing it westbound, but have been over it both ways several times in a stock Izusu Trooper. I looked last summer and didn't find any trails close to Granby. I was working in Tabernash for a week and was hoping to do some wheeling while I was there, but no luck.
Send me a PM or stay with this thread and I'll join ya for whatever trails you wanna do. :yelclap: RJ

rj454 said:
Send me a PM or stay with this thread and I'll join ya for whatever trails you wanna do. :yelclap: RJ

Thanks for the info, and the offer. When it gets closer I'll post another thread. Maybe there's some other folks who would like to do a run also.

Enjoy,

Matt

Back