• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will pre-'99 rear flares fit my '99

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a new rear bumper for my '99. Unfortunately, the stock rear bumper guards wrap around to become the the bottom of the rear flare and I don't like the looks of the flares sans bottom half. Does anyone know if earlier year (1 piece) rear flares will bolt up? If so, what years would be best at matching my fronts?

96 and earlier will bolt on - all the holes in the back are the same. I installed a complete 2000 bumper flares, etc on my 89. You will be left with 3 screw holes on each side which hold the retainer for the extended rear quarter cap.

HodgePodge said:
Just throw something like this on to cover up the holes, and throw the older flares on.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlloyPanel.htm

have fun!

If its a wrap around bumper it will have those built into it. (as in you shouldn't be able to see the quarter panals).

ZachMan said:
If its a wrap around bumper it will have those built into it. (as in you shouldn't be able to see the quarter panals).

He's building it himself.

It think the older flares would look like crap. Drill out the center of the rivets for the bumper end cap mounting things then pull them right off. Then either buy the quarter panel guards from BPI or Rusty's and match your bumper to it.

Here's the best pic I have of mine:

4wheelin_2003-11_027.jpg

Back