• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pilot Bearing Installation

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a clutch pilot bearing from NAPA this morning to place in a reman engine I'm putting in my 88XJ. Is there a special (non-dealer) tool required to do this? The bearing has a raised lip on one end with a couple in indents that look like it may be for a tool. The FSM or Chiltons does not give any illustrations as to how it goes in. I could just try pounding it in there, but don't want to get something started just to find I can't get it in (or worse, back it out). Has anyone ever installed the pilot bearing that can steer me in the right direction?

DesertRed: The indents on the bearing goes toward the flywheel. They are there to provide room for the puller to grip them when removing. I used a bushing installer tool to put mine in my 88 xj. You could also use a socket that fits the outer rim of bearing, so as not to damage it. Be sure it goes in straight and doesn't try to cock on you. Also, be sure the bearing is full of grease. HTH Don

Back