• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how often do people wheel?

Redcbr007

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed people go 4wheel'in every now and then (special events), but how many of you Socal guys go at least once a week (or every weekend)? I go out every weekend and sometimes after work (yes I am happily married w/ kid!!) and wanted to know if anyone else ever goes out....

Patrick

Redcbr007 said:
I noticed people go 4wheel'in every now and then (special events), but how many of you Socal guys go at least once a week (or every weekend)? I go out every weekend and sometimes after work (yes I am happily married w/ kid!!) and wanted to know if anyone else ever goes out....

Patrick

What do you mean by wheelin? I try to go wheelin (take out a day and go somewhere) but I am surrounded by desert so I hit the dirt ever chance I get, even if it is a small hill climb, a pile of rocks, a dirt bike track. If thats what you mean by wheelin then I go everyday.

shannon

Im in east county, so I usually goto Corral canyon or some local locations are in spring valley. Im talking backroads, rock piles, etc...Not really 'trails' ".....every week"

Patrick

Redcbr007 said:
Im talking backroads, rock piles, etc... ".....every week"

I don't go off highway alone. Ever.

Not willing to take the risk. If I had perfect communication 100% of the time, I might chance it. If I knew I could contact a friend that would be willing to come out and rescue me should my vehicle breakdown, I might.

That's just me. YMMV.

I agree, I wouldnt go too far either, but I still 4x4 and make sure I have cell signal

-Red

Andy Steiner said:

Not willing to take the risk. If I had perfect communication 100% of the time, I might chance it. If I knew I could contact a friend that would be willing to come out and rescue me should my vehicle breakdown, I might.

That's just me. YMMV.

I live about 10 minutes away from Stoddard Valley. So those of you who go there on occasion know what it would be like to live out here. At certain times of the year, such as snake hunting season, I may go 4 to 5 times a week. Generally in the late afternoon or evening.

It's interesting to see the different ideas of "wheeling." Being from Vegas, going anywhere interesting outdoors involves dirt roads / trails (often many miles.) I've been doing that most weekends for years.

On the other side, this trip to Calico a few months ago was the first time I'd ever done something like what most people would consider 4-wheeling.

And just to add my 2 cents on the going offroading alone: Don't say never. IMO Solo exploration is good for you. Like anything else be prepared and always let some know where you're going and when you're going to be back. I often explore the desert alone (single vehicle not single person.) I just make sure that I've got enough food and water to last until someone back home starts to miss me.

(was that OT?)

Matt

Mondat, Tuesday, Today. I depends on what job site I'm working on. Last year I spent 8 months on a grading job that I used 4wd almost every day

During the summer, i try to go every other weekend. I live very close to the Rubicon and Fordyce though. In addition, my house is right on the edge of Tahoe national forest, so I'm always cruising dirt roads to fishing spots etc.....

CRASH

FarmerMatt said:
If I back out of my driveway I'm on dirt...

Matt

"When directions to your house include the phrase 'Turn off of the paved road.....'"

CRASH

My back yard is Big Bear and I have to go through a canyon to get home. So I wheel at least twice a week. Now by wheelin, I mean off road some hill climbs maybe some technical stuff. Now I have been to johnson valley,calico, moab and big bear and run the difficult trails, but I would not do these all by my onesy. I went on a snow run up 3n14 about 2 weeks ago and it wound up being a rescue mission for stranded "weekend wheelers" with there $40,000 suvs! They couldn't believe that my 92 XJ was able to pull them out and not get stuck! :rolleyes: I was the only one with a winch too, It amazes me what people will try without prior expereince or even the thought of a backup plan or the least bit prepared for the worst.

Rabbit

Andy Steiner said:

That's just me. YMMV.

Jeeps don't break down, it's not even a question of how you build them up, it's driving sensibly within your limits and maintain your rig. People can break anything, and only fools push things in the middle of nowhere.
I wheel every chance I get, sometimes twice a week, moderate trails, not extreme, and if I had to wait for others I'd never get to explore anything!

Thats how I feel right now, especially in San Diego where everyone is pre-runner 'style'. Im always looking for people to wheel with and everyone's either busy or something else so I wind up going by myself, doing a real weak trail....

-Red

RobertF said:
..I wheel every chance I get, sometimes twice a week, moderate trails, not extreme, and if I had to wait for others I'd never get to explore anything!

Back