• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ front brakes

JeepFreak21 said:
What's the benifit?
You get much better stopping power and the ability to mount your tie rod/drag link over the knuckle. I really like my WJ brakes. I'm running 315's but with the new brakes it feels like I'm stopping 31's. Even on the street with a full load it feels much better and stops quicker. Unfortunatly if you go to 16" rims it does really drive the price up. Although the 16" rims do feel more stabile on the trail and in off-camber situations. I think it's a really good mod.

WJ front brakes used were?

In looking for used knuckles I wondered about the 2WD front end? Isnt the beam front end outers the same, at least the knuckles and calipers? The salvage yards list the 2WD aprts much cheaper.
Angus

Yep, identical just found a Jeep boneyard 10 minutes from my house. I can't believe they moved in years ago and didn't tell me! They have the knuckles from a burnout for $100 each and a complete 2WD(beam, knucles, bearing, rotors, steering) front end for $600.. The dealer wants $275 each for the knuckles, so maybe I found a good deal. My main goal is the brakes, can a WJ caliper bracket be used on a XJ knuckle? Avoids the whole custom bearing issues.

Angus

I paid $65 per knuckle, and loaded calipers and rotors from the DEALER is $280 the knuckles need spacers welded to them to push out the hubs so the u joints sit right too ORGS has these and other parts for the swap

Does anyone know if the Warn lock out hub kits will work with this setup?

r@m

I don't dispute that they stop better, my wife has a 99 WJ. However, what is to prevent the known issue with the WJ front disks warping at low mileage. I spent a butt load of money at the dealer having the brakes done in the probably forlorn hope that the dealer might know how to fix the problem. The service advisor basically said not to waste money on the WJ's brakes, they will always wear too quick. Just curious on peoples thoughts about this.

Fred

Fred said:
I don't dispute that they stop better, my wife has a 99 WJ. However, what is to prevent the known issue with the WJ front disks warping at low mileage. I spent a butt load of money at the dealer having the brakes done in the probably forlorn hope that the dealer might know how to fix the problem. The service advisor basically said not to waste money on the WJ's brakes, they will always wear too quick. Just curious on peoples thoughts about this.

Fred

Biggest difference is the XJ weights a lot less than that pig of a WJ does.

I haven't had any problems with mine so far, but then I an using CJ rotors which are thinner than the WJs. Have other guys not having problems with the WJ rotors either.

Why didn't you get then warranted? There are tons of TSBs on the WJ brake problems. Not sure if official recall but I have heard of lots of people getting them fixed for free.

keith haw said:
Don't mean to hi jack the thread but why can't you just use the WJ front axle?
Keith

It is wider than the XJ and has 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Low pinion??? (not sure)

mark

cbremer said:
don't the WJs also have CV axle shafts (instead of u-joints)?

Yes that is also true. But if you spend more money (about twicw) than the knuckle change on a XJ D30 you could change the axle shafts in the WJ axle. :D

mark

Fred said:

Fred

http://wjjeeps.com/tsb_list.htm#0500302b

Well I just compared a '92 caliper bracket with a WJ caliper bracket. Close but no cigar, the knuckle bolt holes are 1/4" off. I was hoping that I could avoid the knuckle issues by swithing the caliper brackets.

I have found the knuckles for $100 each and Jeep offers a "update kit" that includes right and left calipers, pads, caliper brackets and all the little hardware for $105.

Now I just have to commit to this and decide how to dive in.

Thanks Mark for your help.

Angus

Back