• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anyone replaced the ignition switch!?

bigoltrux77

NAXJA Forum User
Im replacing the ignition on my 85 XJ and im having trouble. Im trying to reconnect the rod to the switch but for some reason the rod wont rotate to the right in order to fit into the hole. Am i doing something wrong? Its in the accessory position and i got the switch set where its supposed to be on the column, but the damn rod wont gointo the hole!! Im getting very frustrated. The rod looks like this... I and i need it like this.... ------ ...What am i doing wrong!? Thanks alot guys. And this is for sale.. If i get it running im looking for 800 OBO. LOL Thanks again.

I did mine and just replaced a colum on a 90. Did not have any trouble with the rod at all. Are you trying to insert the rod attached to the switch? IIRC I put the rod in and then lighned it up to the switch. HTH!

little known advice in case it ever comes up-
the automatics use a different switch than the manual.

and Ive always found it easier to attach the rod, then attach it to the column ,without moveing it.....upside down, with one eye closed and my feet on the headliner.

Ed in North Ga. said:
little known advice in case it ever comes up-
the automatics use a different switch than the manual.

and Ive always found it easier to attach the rod, then attach it to the column ,without moveing it.....upside down, with one eye closed and my feet on the headliner.

I did it the same way. I have also found that sticking your tongue out the corner of your mouth helps too. :laugh3:

Rod then attach to column and don't try to rebuild the old switch cause the acc portion of the switch died and you want A/C and tunes, while you're in a camp ground and its getting dark and you're on a road trip 2000 KMs from home. Cause I hear the thing springs apart and the contacts and springs go all over the place and into the fire pit and you have to hot wire everything so you can get home. Not that I have any first hand experience with this or nothing. :laugh3:
Fletch
PS And being a contortionist (sp?) helps too :)

Last edited:
Back