• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help, wont start

kennyface

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i stopped to fill up for gas then started driving and the car just died
i've read a few threads on this and i know it wasnt the gas i put in, fuel pump purrs and pumps gas but the pressure is real low. i havent checked for spark yet and every thread seems to tell me its teh crankshaft position sensor. my jeep has 156k, had it for almost 2 years...bought it at 136k and is mostly stock.
i located the cps and wonder how easy it is to replace it...its in a really tight corner, had to reach.
the next day it started for 2-4 secs then died. the day after it started for 3 secs and died. its been 2 days and it hasnt come to life again.
hola at me!!

Sounds like the ballast resistor for the fuel pump. On my 87 the ballast resistor is on the fire wall above the master cylander. You should be able to jump it with a short peice of wire.

If it is the CPS a sometime quick temp fix is to disconnect the cps connector near the back of the fuel rail and clean the contacts if they are dirty then reconnect again. If it fires right up then it is a pretty good bet the CPS is bad or on it's last legs. It's a PIA, some get it from underneath some from on top, depends on how may and how long your drive extensions are and how flexible you are :D
Don't drop any bolts into that hole or you will be dropping the tranny and bell housing to get them back out unless you have an auto tranny with an inspection plate, I understand they can be fished out that way...

hey guys, just had to see a mechanic about this....was costly but efficient. he said my coil shorted out, or i had a bad core . Now am guessing he means the camshaft sensor.....anyone know wat this might mean? he replaced it and the black beast came back to life.

Back