• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Probs

laredo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj 4.0 aw4.I've been having problems with my 4 wheel drive for a while now.The lever goes into 4wd ok but it seems like the 4wd isn't fully engaging.It will drive with it in 4wd but it starts to grind like it isn't in all the way.I take it out and put it back in any it will work ok for a little while but it always ends up doing it again.When I go over a bump in 4wd it makes a gear grinding noise.I was told this might be the chain in the transfer case but I wanted to know you guys opinion.My mechanic said these go alot on these xj's and it's like $400 to fix,am I better off just throwing in a case from the junkyard,or does this even sound like the problem?Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

No,I haven't done a transfer case lowering kit,I have a 3 inch lift with 30x9.5x15's on it.I thought those were only if you were running over 31's.Should I look into that?

Buy my spare T-Case. ;) Check the linkage like suggested. Also, is the problem going into 4 low or 4 high? I have to give a sharp tug to get mine solidly into 4 low.

Israel said:
Buy my spare T-Case. ;) Check the linkage like suggested. Also, is the problem going into 4 low or 4 high? I have to give a sharp tug to get mine solidly into 4 low.

The problem is both,sometimes it doesn't want to go into 4low,it grinds and pops out.Another thing is that the light only comes on occasionally,which I think means it isn't fully engaging,how much are you selling your spare for?

It really sounds like misadjusted linkage to me. Check it out and let us know.

Jared:patriot:

BTW - this thread really ought to be in the OEM Tech forum.

DeadEyeJ said:
It really sounds like misadjusted linkage to me. Check it out and let us know.

Jared:patriot:

BTW - this thread really ought to be in the OEM Tech forum.

Thanks everyone,I know it should be,I was just thinking that myself.

laredo said:
Thanks everyone,I know it should be,I was just thinking that myself.

On the older style cases if the light is not lit on the dash you are not in 4WD. So it sounds like your problem is linkage adjustment or wear. The reason Mark asked if you had a drop kit installed is because that will affect your linkage adjustment. If you are not having any problems with driveshaft vibrations do not install a drop kit. Even if you do have DS vibes a SYE is a better alternative.

B-loose

I'm going to go with the crowd and say linkage. But if you end up needing the spare, its 150.00 local and 175.00 shipped.

laredo said:
The problem is both,sometimes it doesn't want to go into 4low,it grinds and pops out.Another thing is that the light only comes on occasionally,which I think means it isn't fully engaging,how much are you selling your spare for?

Back