• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled my new drivetrain

Blatant

NAXJA Forum User
Hiya: Well, I initially posted a couple months back looking for ideas on building the $400 86 XJ I picked up with a blown 2.8. I did a bunch of searching, got some good input and this past weekend scored my new drivetrain.

Found a rolled 2003 Blazer and was able to pick up the ENTIRE drivetrain, including all computers and full harness for $1,200. That's a 4.3 Vortech (22K miles), a 4l60e auto tranny and what appears to be an np233 (which I'm unfamiliar with). Even if the t-case proves unusable, it's still a good score. My only worry is the entire thing is computer controlled (shifting and pushbutton 4wd), so I'm sure wiring will be a nightmare. But no rush as it's just a project taking up space in my garage. Just wanted to share my news.

Also building an hp44 front and, oddly, a sf c-and-c 14-bolt for the rear. Will be running 37 MT/Rs.
Dion

Blatant said:
Hiya: Well, I initially posted a couple months back looking for ideas on building the $400 86 XJ I picked up with a blown 2.8. I did a bunch of searching, got some good input and this past weekend scored my new drivetrain.

Found a rolled 2003 Blazer and was able to pick up the ENTIRE drivetrain, including all computers and full harness for $1,200. That's a 4.3 Vortech (22K miles), a 4l60e auto tranny and what appears to be an np233 (which I'm unfamiliar with). Even if the t-case proves unusable, it's still a good score. My only worry is the entire thing is computer controlled (shifting and pushbutton 4wd), so I'm sure wiring will be a nightmare. But no rush as it's just a project taking up space in my garage. Just wanted to share my news.

Also building an hp44 front and, oddly, a sf c-and-c 14-bolt for the rear. Will be running 37 MT/Rs.
Dion

How does it look on the fitment of the 4.3 into the engine bay?? Also depending where you're at.... how are your smog rules?

I wondered where you would stand on smog laws also. Here (AZ) if you put in a '03 motor you must meet '03 smog standerds, not '86 like the body. I would think that if you dont get to wild, it should pass with only 22k on it. Good luck with it.....I can loan you a shoe horn if you need it.

As far as I know, since the motor is newer than the vehicle, I shouldn't have a problem. In my experience, as long as it passes the sniffer, shouldn't be much of a problem here.

Will it fit? Hell, it should. It's basically 75 percent of a 350, so I don't see why not. I'm more worried about wiring the damn thing than getting it to fit in the engine bay, honestly.
dion

Back