• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Backup lights

acard

NAXJA Forum User
I have no backup lights on my '93. I'm not having starting problems so I'm hoping it isn't the neutral safety switch. I also have all of the other tail light functions. Any Ideas what it could be? I need help. :helpme:
Aaron

Check the fuse first then the reverse light switch on the tranny. I would assume its a AW-4 since you mention a NSS!

i had the same problem. cleaned out the ole' NSS, which took about 20 mins and basic tools, then they worked fine.

Start with the basics. Check fuse and bulbs.

I've checked the bulbs and they are good. I checked the fuse panel and it looked good. Are there other fuses to check?

Eagle - Where is the reverse light switch on the transmission?

Aaron

the nss is on the passenger side, toward the front of the trans. its a quarter circle looking thing with a wire comming out the top. there is one metric bolt and a big nut in the center holding it on. you take off the metric bolt and, using the lip of the pan, you slowly pry it out with a flat head screw driver tucked under the nut in the center. if you follow the wires comming out of it, they lead up into the engine bay and have a connection by the trans dip stick. in order to get that outta there you may have to cut a few zip ties

Just finished mine after 165K miles. Found that the lower (closest to the pivot shaft) contact on the moving arm, was gunked in place such that the spring could not force it out to make contact.
An easy way to check if it is the NSS is to check continuity on the connector under the hood between terminals A&E with the lever in R. If no continuity then it is the switch. You can check all other positions as well.
P = B-C
R = A-E
N = B-C
D =
3 = A-G
1-2= A-H

I suppose you will want to know how to identify the terminals? Look at the connector and place the lock on top. They are as follows:

E F G H
D C B A

D & F do not have connectors.

I just did the NSS cleaning by following the article from jeepin.com and it fixed the problem. One of the contacts was stuck in place. I didn't disconnect the NSS from the wiring harness and just cleened it from uner the truck and it worked great. If I had to do it again, I would do it the same way.
Thanks for all of the help!
Aaron

My mechanic bypassed my nss when I was having trouble. Didn't fix my non-working backup lights, but will never have a problem w/ nss. I guess I just have a short or something. No worries though, I installed $20 blazers from wal-mart under my rear bumper.

CJ's98XJ said:
Thanks. Good lookin out. Just took mine off, cleaned it up, put it back and it works like a charm. Givin' up an hour of my time is a whole lot better than giving up$240.00. I owe you one.

HA! Just logged on here for the same problem, searched this thread out, what are the odds of 2 of us needing this in an hour? It's a 3 year old thread!

JetWrench said:
HA! Just logged on here for the same problem, searched this thread out, what are the odds of 2 of us needing this in an hour? It's a 3 year old thread!

its a very common problem

Back