• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shifting

XJDanny

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 Laredo with Select Trac and 203K miles. I'm pretty fanatic about maintenance. New tranny fluid every 40-60K miles (drop pan and replace filter etc.) A while ago I started experiencing a rough 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 shift. Seems to shift late with a bit of a jolt. Also, seems to lack power to go up hills in 1st gear, like tranny is slipping. Had dealer check solenoids. They said they were ok with resistance and I may need a new TCU which would cost $800 prepaid with no return and no guarantee to do the trick. I notice manual 1-2 shift works well and pulls uphill as it should.
I replaced TPS as a precaution and adjusted voltage to FSM spec to no avail.
One odd thing, my TPS input voltage was 4.60v and no higher. Adjusted output to 82%, but didn't cure the rough shift. Anyone out there have similar experience? Any ideas on a cure? I can live with the rough shift (and have for about 30K miles) but don't want to jeopardize my tranny. Fuse problems? just where is the fuse for the TCU and is it easy to get at?

Also, my cruise control seemed to conk out about the same time. Any connection?

Any advice (other than replacing $800TCU) would be appreciated!

Back