• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering fluid capacity

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys

ive done a couple searches, and havent found the answer...

on my 1996 4WD 4.0 HO--how many ounces of power steering fluid does my system hold?

im slowly doing a change of the fluid by sucking out some ~6oz. at a time and replacing with fresh fluid.

about how many times should i change 6oz. to know that ive changed it all?

thanks!

CaptTrev

Figure on three quarts - you won't need all of the three, and you won't get all the fluid this way, either.

If you want to get it done, you would want a pressure source for the fluid, and force it in thru the pressure port on the steering gear. That way, the clean fluid displaces the old. Running and swapping fluid just stirs things up - if you get half of what you're trying to get out, I'd be surprised.

Anyhow, the pump & reservoir is good for about a quart, the gear is good for just over a quart, and the lines perhaps half a pint to a pint. If you have a cooler, add another pint for good measure.

5-90

I tried the suck it out of the reservoir and fill with new 3 times on my 88 XJ and it still was as black as coffee. A year ago I decided to change the hoses and change the fluid since the turkey baister method was making no progress.

I went to the parts store and picked up the pressure and return line. In each box came the new line and a cap. You read the instructions provided and it said to hook up the new pressure line. Once that complete then hook up the return line to the steering box then bring it to a container to collect the fluid. I forgot to mention I had to pick up new hose clamps for the low pressure hose.

Now you place the cap on the nipple where the return hose connects to the reservoir and fill the reservoir.

With the front end raised so the tires do not touch the ground. You may want to remove the front tires and place the front end on jack stands. Just make sure the front end is off the ground.

I then turned on the engine and made sure I had the pump push fluid out the return hose which I had placed in a 2 litre bottle. Now with the system primed my buddy turned off the XJ and he would turn the steering wheel slowly stop to stop. I would refill the reservoir before it ran empty and watched the color of fluid coming out of the tube into the bottle.

I started out with coffee color fluid, then it changes to cream sode and finally to new fluid. That took 3 quarts of single pass to get all that "dirt" out of the system.

Once the system was clean I hooked the return line to the reservoir and filled my reservoir to the cold line with fluid. I then ran the engine and watched to make sure I did not need fluid. I then checked the next few days and it was completly burped.

I got my return line at carquest. I recommend you get the line that way because that cap to plug the nipple is worth it's weight in gold.

If you change the pressure line you would be better off with flare wreches. On my 88 XJ the steering pump end used a 5/8 inch wrench and the steering box end was 18 mm. If you change one hose you might want to do both and renew it for another 10 years. I took 2 empty 2 litre soda bottles to collect the old fluid as it made the single pass. Also make sure the power steering fluid you buy says on the bottle it meets the spec called out in your owner's manual. I took 4 quarts and still have half a bottle a year later. I have no fluid leaks.

Hope that helps

Back