• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snap Ring U-Joint 760's - How?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay, time for my ignorant question of the week. :) (Yes, I've searched, and I suck at searching anyway)

So when I work with my front shafts I'm going to toss the old 297's in favor of 760's, and I want to snap ring them (before anybody says it, yes, it's overkill for me, but if I'm doing the work might as well do it right, never know what I'll be driving over tomorrow). What do I need to do? I understand that I'll have to machine them a bit, but if somebody could show me pictures or something it'd be great, that way I know if I feel comfortable doing it myself.

While on the subject, I'm probalby going to have soembody punch out some 260 shafts that I have in my garage as well and keep those as spares, has anybody done this and broke them easily?

Thanks,
Sequoia

You won't need pictures once you look at them. For the snap ring to fit around the cap it has to have a flat surface. On the inside part of the yoke one doesn't exist. You need to make one. When you pull the shaft out and before you take the u-joint out look at how the stock c-clip holds the u-joint cap in and then hold the snap ring up. You'll see.

If your talking about taking the 260 shafts as spares (complete inner and outer) I don't see why not. A weaker spare is better than none. I hardly ever carry new crap for spares.

Okay, time for my ignorant question of the week. :) (Yes, I've searched, and I suck at searching anyway)

This is a habit you need to get back into. We miss your ignorant questions. :(

So when I work with my front shafts I'm going to toss the old 297's in favor of 760's, and I want to snap ring them (before anybody says it, yes, it's overkill for me, but if I'm doing the work might as well do it right, never know what I'll be driving over tomorrow). What do I need to do? I understand that I'll have to machine them a bit, but if somebody could show me pictures or something it'd be great, that way I know if I feel comfortable doing it myself.

While on the subject, I'm probalby going to have soembody punch out some 260 shafts that I have in my garage as well and keep those as spares, has anybody done this and broke them easily?

Thanks,
Sequoia

Short answer? It's still overkill for you. ;)

I think he finished it already, thread was started in 04, cal's just screwing around and reviving all of GSequoia's old threads right now :roll:

I think he finished it already, thread was started in 04, cal's just screwing around and reviving all of GSequoia's old threads right now :roll:

Damn! Got me again. :anon:

:roflmao:

I was too lazy to click that link last night, now I'm glad I was :D

Back