• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock flare trimming...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
I'm sure this has been done before, but I thought I'd toss up the pictures I took of doing it.

I had to do a bit of trimming to stop some rub, I trimmed off the fender flare up to the bend (where the flare stops going out and starts going straight down), then cut off the front lower portion at the fender line. I think it looks pretty good. Next stop, TJ rear's :)

(Click image for full size view)
Profile View

Looking Forward

Closeup of Lower Front

Sequoia

If you have any pics that show the inner liner and how you trimmed it, I'd love to see 'em.

MaXJohnson said:
If you have any pics that show the inner liner and how you trimmed it, I'd love to see 'em.

Ask and ye shall recieve...

I just trimmed the inner fenders to roughly the bottom of the fender. If you want to do this and make it last you should probably put some sort of metal bracing inside the flare, also a screw holding the inner fender to the tip of the fender wouldn't be a bad thing as well.

Again, click on the images to see a full size shot...
Top of Flare

Rear of Flare

Front of Flare

Sequoia

Step right up, we gots what ya needs...
Sawzall.jpg

;)

Thanks, Sequoia. That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know how well the inner liner would lay against the rear after trimming.

Trying to make room for the 33" Firestones

Here's the brace I was talking about. If you fabed a few pieces of metal to the contours of the flare and wrapped it around the fender I think it would serve both purposes. I'm only running like this on the temporary, so I'm not trying it...:D

flarebracemockup.jpg

Sequoia

Couple things I forgot to mention.

First, you might want to put some JB Weld on the top of the flare to hold that metal brace into position, tha way you don't have to screw it in.

Second, to be a totally clean look there's still a little fender trimming involved, you'll notice that on the trailing end of the flare there is some fender that sticks out from the flare (I have it painted primer black, one of these days I might hack it off if this temporary solution ends up lasting awhile)

Back